Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cannot Migrate to SME 8

Offline igloosys

• +0/-0
Cannot Migrate to SME 8
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
hi all,

not sure if I should post here or open a big. I have a few sme 7.6 machines that is of course long due for migration. I tried to use the sme 8 cd many times over to upgrade but it didn't work on various configuration. that includes machines that do not have any custom-templates.
hit into issues similar to
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7776

so now I have decided to upgrade using the affa method. however, I am not able to install affa.

keeps telling me that about not being able to find
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: smeaddons
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: smeaddons
believe its similar to this issue which I cannot solve. perhaps I am just not smart enough
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7680

seems like I am stuck and cannot move out of 7.6. can someone help me? my yum is already at smeserver-yum-2.0.0-17.el4.sme.

any kind souls that can give me some directions?
I have already tried the following and didn't work.
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=49370.0
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,49361.0.html
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,48424.0.html

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Cannot Migrate to SME 8
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
igloosys

Upgrade from 7.6 to 8.0 using a CD should work.

You say:
I have a few sme 7.6 machines .....I tried to use the sme 8 cd many times over to upgrade but it didn't work .....
You really need to be more specific & exacting & provide error messages etc. "Didn't work" tells us nothing.

....hit into issues similar to
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7776

The only issue in that bug is users not waiting long enough for the upgrade from CD to finish.
Quoting from the bug comment 18: "During testing with CD upgrade from 7.6 to 8, I have seen similar issues if you reset the server when you see the 100% complete message (wrongly thinking it has finished or hung), but that only means the upgrade has not yet completed. The server will be in a complete mess & non functional in various ways.
The only real final message is the one that says something like, Remove the CD & reboot the server. It can take 15 minutes or longer to get from the 100% installed message to the remove CD & reboot message."

So did you wait until you received the "Remove the CD & reboot the server" message ?
I suggest you try the upgrade from CD again, and be VERY patient when it comes to the final step mentioned above. It could even take 30 minutes or more for the final message to appear. Just wait until it does.

There is another recent post I made about the repos on sme7.6 servers & how to configure them in mid to late 2013. See
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,50196.msg252267.html#msg252267
You possibly should read the whole thread but it can be a bit confusing, I think the pertinent information is in the very last post.
Some of the repos are no longer functional & others have been moved to other locations, & the procedure to get these configured correctly is a bit different to information published 18 months ago when sme7.x was obsoleted.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:46:50 AM by janet »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline igloosys

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »
igloosys

Upgrade from 7.6 to 8.0 using a CD should work.

You say:You really need to be more specific & exacting & provide error messages etc. "Didn't work" tells us nothing.

The only issue in that bug is users not waiting long enough for the upgrade from CD to finish.
Quoting from the bug comment 18: "During testing with CD upgrade from 7.6 to 8, I have seen similar issues if you reset the server when you see the 100% complete message (wrongly thinking it has finished or hung), but that only means the upgrade has not yet completed. The server will be in a complete mess & non functional in various ways.
The only real final message is the one that says something like, Remove the CD & reboot the server. It can take 15 minutes or longer to get from the 100% installed message to the remove CD & reboot message."

So did you wait until you received the "Remove the CD & reboot the server" message ?
I suggest you try the upgrade from CD again, and be VERY patient when it comes to the final step mentioned above. It could even take 30 minutes or more for the final message to appear. Just wait until it does.

There is another recent post I made about the repos on sme7.6 servers & how to configure them in mid to late 2013. See
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,50196.msg252267.html#msg252267
You possibly should read the whole thread but it can be a bit confusing, I think the pertinent information is in the very last post.
Some of the repos are no longer functional & others have been moved to other locations, & the procedure to get these configured correctly is a bit different to information published 18 months ago when sme7.x was obsoleted.

I tried to do it n wait, but for 2 hours? its too much right? but I will try again to make sure that I have all the grounds covered.

I tried the above before and I tried it again, but still doesn't work.
[root@miki2 ~]# /usr/bin/yum localinstall --enablerepo=smecontribs smeserver-affa-2.0.0-rc4.noarch.rpm perl-Compress-Bzip2-2.09-1.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm
Loading "protect-packages" plugin
Loading "smeserver" plugin
Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Local Package Process
Examining smeserver-affa-2.0.0-rc4.noarch.rpm: smeserver-affa - 2.0.0-rc4.noarch
Examining perl-Compress-Bzip2-2.09-1.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm: perl-Compress-Bzip2 - 2.09-1.2.el4.rf.i386
Marking smeserver-affa-2.0.0-rc4.noarch.rpm to be installed
Marking perl-Compress-Bzip2-2.09-1.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm to be installed
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package perl-Compress-Bzip2.i386 0:2.09-1.2.el4.rf set to be updated
---> Package smeserver-affa.noarch 0:2.0.0-rc4 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
Setting up repositories
[root@miki2 ~]#

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »
igloosys

I tried to do it n wait, but for 2 hours? its too much right? but I will try again to make sure that I have all the grounds covered.

No it"s not too much. Linux rarely gives up, it will keep going until it is finished.
Just let in run until it says to reboot, whether it's 15mins, 2 hours, 24 hours or even 48 hours. For sure if you stop the upgrade before it says to reboot, then you will have a corrupted system or a system that is in an indeterminate state.

Based on your comment, it sounds like you did stop the upgrade after 2 hours, so that"s why you have errors & problems.
As to why it should take so long, I do not know, I upgraded a system that took 1 minute, another took 20 minutes (ie the wait time between the 100% complete message & the remove CD & reboot message, so every server differs). Both servers had taken roughly 15 to 30 minutes for the upgrade from CD to get to that stage, plus then the extra time waiting for the reboot message.

Please follow the instructions in the link I gave you to fix those errors.

Personally I think playing with Affa & adjusting repos is a waste of time, just run the upgrade from CD & WAIT until it really finishes, & only reboot the server when you get the message saying "Remove CD & reboot".

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 01:42:06 AM »
igloosys

FYI using switches like this may help (smeextras may also be a problems for you)

/usr/bin/yum localinstall --disablerepo=smeaddons --disablerepo=smeextras --enablerepo=smecontribs smeserver-affa-2.0.0-rc4.noarch.rpm perl-Compress-Bzip2-2.09-1.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm

(the above all on one line)

signal-event post-upgrade
signal-event reboot

Offline igloosys

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »
just for closure sake just in case someone stumbled onto this thread. first, I have to thank janet who has provided a lot of support and pointers.

what I have done, in the end is that I have followed the howto on affa and it works like a charm. but of cos, you have to have different hardware. some reason, my environment, cd upgrade does not work for me.
http://wiki.contribs.org/Moving_SME_to_new_Hardware

only 2 issues that you may encounter

1) is that if you hit a issue with listing the rpmlist. might have to navigate to the folder and then

ls -al
rm .md5*

run the command again.

affa --run prodserv

2) /opt will not be migrated over. so if you have contribs like cacti. it will not be migrated. but things in ibays will for sure be migrated.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »
2) /opt will not be migrated over...

You should have been able to get /opt with an Affa "include[0]" directive in the job config file (although I doubt that would have been enough to get cacti working on the new system).