Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Server Manager Page Won't Open After Interrupted WS Restore

Offline abarron

• +0/-0
Server Manager Page Won't Open After Interrupted WS Restore
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
Hi

I am inexperienced at this so please be gentle.  I have spent a while searching the forum but haven't found anything that is quite like this.

I decided to upgrade my SME 7.5.1 to 8.0 and thought it would be a good idea to do a fresh install of 8.0  This I did and it went ok including doing all the YUM updates.

So now I have a shiny new SME 8.0 server, I start a restore from workstation which all seems to be going well until we get a power cut   :-x   So I reboot and unsurprisingly the server starts to re-synch my raid5 + HS array  (4 disks).

This finishes and declares that all is clean so I try to open the web interface to server manager to start another restore and I am told it is unavailable.   :-x :-x

Is there any way I can recover this without doing another install?

TIA for any help.

Andy

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Server Manager Page Won't Open After Interrupted WS Restore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:45:40 AM »
abarron

Recovering from that scenario could be problematic, as your system is probably in an indeterminate state.
You may be able to troubleshoot it, try for 30 minutes (I would not waste any more time than that), but really if you are inexperienced then a reinstall & restore may be the quickest & easiest answer.

Is the text based server manager accessible ?
Login as root, type console,
or
login as admin
then select server manager,
move around with tab keys (or mouse if connected)
Try running the restore

Highly recommended for a variety of reasons, obtain a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) & attach to your server & enable NUT (see Howto or Contrib wiki article), they are relatively cheap these days, make sure the model you choose is compatible with Linux/CentOS, & avoid power loss issues in the future.

Look in the log files
/var/log/.....
if you still cannot get text based server manager access.
eg
cat /var/log/filename

see messages & httpd logs

Was that gentle enough ?

This finishes and declares that all is clean so I try to open the web interface to server manager to start another restore and I am told it is unavailable

It is best to quote exact error messages, & look in the log files for specific errors & informative messages.

Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline abarron

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:48:16 AM »
Thank you Janet yes you were very gentle.

So I log into root and enter console mode, when I try to select Server Manager there is a short delay (a few seconds) and the response "Unable to retrieve HTTPS:\\localhost\server-manager" is returned.

I then went looking for the logs as you suggested and found them but they make little sense to me although there are entries in the HTTPD/Admin-Error log that to me appear to show a timeout waiting for the web page script to do something, I am of course guessing.

[Fri Jan 03 00:04:57 2014] [warn] [client 127.0.0.1] Timeout waiting for output from CGI script

Whilst writing this reply immediately under the text window is a erm 'link' <?> that says "Attachments and other options" this suggests I can add an attachment but I can't see how to do it or I would attach the log (or the output from Putty).  If you would like to see the log and there is a way to attach it please tell me how.

Thank you again.

Andy

Offline abarron

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:37:51 AM »
Hi Janet

I took your advice and having spent a while trying to figure out how to fix what had gone wrong (without success) I started a fresh install.  About 10 hours of restore left to go, wish me luck.

Thank you for your help, I am looking for a UPS.

Cheers
Andy