Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Newb getting started - help apprecaited!

Offline D

• +0/-0
Newb getting started - help apprecaited!
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
Ultimately i am looking to find out how to install Hansoft on my home server. However in trying to learn this i have got stuck in many different areas which are showing me up as the hopeless Unix and server noob that i am. I was wondering if anyone can help me with my primary question of installing something like Hansoft or answer any of these so i might help myself:
How do i access my iBays directory from the terminal?
Alternatively, how do i get a file onto the server so i can point the install run command to it?

Any suggestions for essential reading will also be heeded. I read the wiki but i am still clueless so maybe something more basic? My Google-fu is also failing but that might be down to not knowing what i am even searching for... on the plus side i am learnign a lot about small and medium businesses! :lol:

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Newb getting started - help apprecaited!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:48:02 PM »
D

At the top of these Forums is a link to the Manual, start there, & do read it all from the start as you will miss out on basic concepts.
Then take a longer look at the ibay (or Information Bays) chapter.

Simply said, if you have set your network up appropriately & correctly, ie the server Domain/Workgroup setting & the workstation Domain/Workgroup setting matches & the local (LAN) IP address range are the same, then when you open Windows Explorer or other file explorer tool on a workstation, you should be able to browse to your sme server name in the Network section, & under that you will see a list of ibays you have created (& shared correctly to users/groups).
You can then map that ibay to a drive letter or copy files directly to the ibay, but then we start to get into more advanced configuration ie logon scripts to automatically map the drives etc, so please slowly read the manual.

Remember this is a server & much "control" is done via server manager from a workstation & via direct connection to ibays from a workstation.
Apart from initial installation most sme servers are headless (no monitor & even no keyboard), & all control is done remotely across the LAN from a workstation or via Putty ssh app.

What is Hansoft ?, this http://www.hansoft.com/ ?

How do i access my iBays directory from the terminal?

Login as root user at the console, (ie the keyboard & screen connected directly to the sme server).
Then use the command line (CLI) to do what a Linux CLI allows you.
You can also use mc (Midnight Commander) file browser etc, to move around.
Do
cd /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibayname

replace ibayname with your actual ibay name

You can usually/typically only install Linux rpms from the command line, if installing Windows exe software, you do that from a workstation to the mapped ibay drive letter, eg Drive E which may represent the hansoft ibay.

Alternatively, how do i get a file onto the server so i can point the install run command to it?

Refer earlier advice, just copy the exe install file to the ibay /files folder or /html folder depending how the application is intended to be used, for LAN access software use the /files folder ie
/home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibayname/files
& copy your exe file to there & run it.

Any suggestions for essential reading will also be heeded.

The Manual is ALWAYS essential reading, nothing is terribly hard or difficult in sme server, but for a first time user it may all seem rather daunting as you are on a rapid learning curve, so read the Manual slowly & try things on the server as you read. Then start all over again & read the Manual again, the second time around you usually start to grasp the concepts of what is being explained in the Manual.

Ask here if you are confused, but please do make the effort to READ THE MANUAL FIRST, & make reference to the section(s) you do not understand (provide the URL) !
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline D

• +0/-0
Re: Newb getting started - help apprecaited!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
Thanks a lot!
Turned out i was far closer to understanding it than i realised. Your answer set me straight so thanks a lot for taking the time to write that reply.
Now i have a base understanding to start from i hope it should be easier to get stuck into exploring this!

Thanks again.