Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How ro migrate usser acounts and shares to SME SERVER 8.0

Offline MushinTech

• +0/-0
How ro migrate usser acounts and shares to SME SERVER 8.0
« on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
In my small company I have a sme server, that has been doins his job for years with version 7.4. The hard drive has bad blocks, so I'm backing up all the user data.
I would like to upgrade to SME server 8.0. The server is only a Domain controlller, and file server with user and permissions set for each user. I donĀ“t have any more network services. Is there a way to backup only the files I need for the services I have, so I could make a fresh install in a new hard drive with SME 8.0 and rebuild the server with the same services that the old one? I would then copy the files to the shares and users would just authenticate and access the shares without even noticing that there was a change in the server?

Sorry if this a nub question... Regardless I would love any help, to see if i can have some free time with my family this weekend. Thank you!

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: How ro migrate usser acounts and shares to SME SERVER 8.0
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
MushinTech

You can do a backup to USB either using the server manager backup & restore panel to workstation (ie to a local USB or a workstation share) or from the admin console menu to a locally connected USB drive.
These backups will backup all user data & email, ibay data & configuration settings & databases, but they do not backup any contribs installed.
Contrib data will be backed up.

You then use that backup to restore to a freshly installed sme 8 OS on new hardware.
You then install any compatible contribs (ie sme 8 compatible el5 versions).

Read the Manual re backup, see link at top of Forums.

Also read this howto for general info about backup concepts, & specific details re how to do limited backups , but be warned you are on your own when you use non standard approaches to backup & restore. Read the whole howto.
http://wiki.contribs.org/Backup_server_config
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.