Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

server-manager and webmail not working after upgrade

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
Re: server-manager and webmail not working after upgrade
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 10:50:54 PM »
As you are going to lodge a bug report, then it is probably best you do not make any more configuration changes.
You erase the forensic trail by making more changes, so I suggest you report the issue first in bugzilla & only do what is requested of you by the troubleshooters & developers.

Done:  http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7838

Do you have remote ssh access to this server ? Having that setup or allowed certainly saves you having to go on site for every little change or tweak or yum upgrade.

I do, but I can't find a terminal setting that displays the console correctly.  The console is completely jumbled, but the bash shell works fine.

What was the sme 7.x version you upgraded from ?
It is recommended to upgrade to tge latest sme7.6 before doing a sme 8.0 upgrade.

Yes, it was the very latest, I believe v7.6.

Also what were the issues you had with your clients the first time you upgraded ? You said you needed to tweak the clients (I assume that means Window workstations), so instead you reverted to sme 7 ? Something was obviously wrong with your backup or restore or upgrade procedure right from the very start and this could be the underlying cause of your issues. This cannot be ignored when diagnosing what is going on here.

I ran out of time to convert the Windows clients (20 of them) to the new settings for v8, FQDN, SSL, etc.

I really didn't "revert", I just left the old hardware running 7.6 and shut the new machine down for the day.

Also what contribs or other packages do you have installed ?
Have you checked that these are compatible with sme 8 ?

DAR2
User Vacations
AWStats
SARG Reports
User Panel Access
sme7admin

I believe everything was ok except for sme7admin when I checked them.  I removed sme7admin and went on.

Also what custom changes eg custom templates & similar tweaks have you made to your sme 7 server, & have you reviewed and/or removed these in sme 8 ?

I don't know enough about making custom templates or anything like that.  If it's not a contrib pkg, I don't do it.

I'd like to take a moment to thank you for all your time and input on this matter.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 01:00:16 AM »
yelnic

You need to tell the whole story in the bug report. Add a link to this forum thread & also add all the commands you issued when trying to fix the problem, you can see them in your bash history.

I can't find a terminal setting that displays the console correctly.  The console is completely jumbled, but the bash shell works fine.

There is a fix available for this, reported recently in the forums I think, caused by recent updates,  search on bash.

I ran out of time to convert the Windows clients (20 of them) to the new settings for v8, FQDN, SSL, etc.

This concerns me. Why was it necessary to change settings on workstations ? The backup & restore should have transferred all the original settings to the new server, that"s the whole point of doing it. Either something went very wrong or you are ignorant of the backup/restore concepts & requirements. Refer to tte Backup Concepts howto.
You say you used DAR2, do you mean the DAR2 contrib originally developed by Darrell May ?
Did you use/create a full system recovery type backup job ?

Did you install the DAR2 contrib on the new v8 server before you did the restore ?
Did you transfer the job/db details as per the DAR2 wiki article ?
Where was the backup, on a USB drive ?

All this info should go in the bug report so the experts are aware of the full history.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 04:35:42 AM »
You need to tell the whole story in the bug report. Add a link to this forum thread & also add all the commands you issued when trying to fix the problem, you can see them in your bash history.

I'm afraid they are probably all jumbled up as I have issued some commands repeatedly.  I will take a look.

This concerns me. Why was it necessary to change settings on workstations ? The backup & restore should have transferred all the original settings to the new server, that"s the whole point of doing it. Either something went very wrong or you are ignorant of the backup/restore concepts & requirements. Refer to tte Backup Concepts howto.
You say you used DAR2, do you mean the DAR2 contrib originally developed by Darrell May ?
Did you use/create a full system recovery type backup job ?

They were using the server IP address and ports 110/25.  It is my understanding that on v8 we need to be using the FQDN and ports 993/465, etc.

I ran the Darrell May contrib and followed the instructions to do a full system recovery, I believe.

Did you install the DAR2 contrib on the new v8 server before you did the restore ?
Did you transfer the job/db details as per the DAR2 wiki article ?
Where was the backup, on a USB drive ?

I followed the instructions I had that had me install DAR2 and copy the job/db files over for the restore.
I backed up to a directory on a RHEL5 server that we use for nightly DAR2 backups, but made a separate backup for this case.  I didn't have a USB drive handy.

All this info should go in the bug report so the experts are aware of the full history.

It's in there now as I just answered a bunch of questions in the bug report.

Thanks.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 05:42:41 AM »
yelnic

Assuming you have logged in as root do
cat .bash_history

post to the bug report

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:02 AM »
yelnic

...I can't find a terminal setting that displays the console correctly.  The console is completely jumbled, but the bash shell works fine.

Please learn to search the forums & bugzilla for any issues before posting them here.
Many issues have been answered by the time you see the problem.

I think it could be answered by this recent post.
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,50098.msg251454.html#msg251454

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 06:20:43 AM »
Please learn to search the forums & bugzilla for any issues before posting them here.
Many issues have been answered by the time you see the problem.

I think it could be answered by this recent post.
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,50098.msg251454.html#msg251454

I take some pride in using the forums to answer most of my questions without ever posting here.  I would not have found this post since I don't use midnight commander or putty, but I thank you for the information.  It worked to clean up my console display.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 07:34:13 AM »
yelnic

It worked to clean up my console display.

It seems that is only a temporary fix to undo some of the effects of a previous upgrade change.
There is a bigger issue going on in the bug reports & devinfo list.
See
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,50183.msg252037.html#msg252037

I see in the associated bug report for your original issue, that two main repos were not enabled.
Did you enable them & run the yum update.
What outcome ?

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 08:04:31 AM »
It seems that is only a temporary fix to undo some of the effects of a previous upgrade change.
There is a bigger issue going on in the bug reports & devinfo list.
See
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,50183.msg252037.html#msg252037

I see in the associated bug report for your original issue, that two main repos were not enabled.
Did you enable them & run the yum update.
What outcome ?

I just used putty and did the UTF-8 change.  It works for the few times I may have to access the console remotely and I didn't want to change the default behavior of bash.

I have enabled the repositories, but have not done the yum update yet since I have not been able to make the default backup work.  I was using the (apparently old) DAR2 which worked fine to the RHEL5 machine, but the default DAR won't.  I am going to try to do a USB console backup on site tomorrow before doing the yum update just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »
yelnic

I wonder if this bug identifies your issues
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7806
It would be consistent I think with having wrong packages installed due to main base & updates repos not being enabled.

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
I wonder if this bug identifies your issues
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7806
It would be consistent I think with having wrong packages installed due to main base & updates repos not being enabled.

Yes, it looks very similar.  My www group disappeared from /etc/groups which I assumed at the time caused the files in /home/httpd/html/horde/config/ to be assigned group apache.  After I manually added the www group back into /etc/groups and changed the group in /home/httpd/html/horde/config/ to www (based on comparing the group settings in another clean v8 install), webmail started working again.

Thanks.

Offline pmstewart

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »
Janet,

Was not trying to tack a new bug onto someone else's post - rather indicating this series of updates comes with multiple issues.

http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7835