Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Modify the clamscan schedule in the admin gui

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
Modify the clamscan schedule in the admin gui
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »
This is just a request for somebody to add the ability to modify the clamscan schedule in the admin gui since the only options are daily and weekly.  It would be nice if there were additional options that would give the user the ability to define a specific schedule down to the minute.  I am sure I am not the only person here who disables this scan then manually creates a cron for this to run at a specific time.  IMHO.  :cool:

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Modify the clamscan schedule in the admin gui
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:03 AM »
bhay3s

These types of New Feature Requests (NFR) need to be made in bugzilla, not the forums.
You will also need to provide convincing evidence thst such a feature is needed by many people.
Remember one of the main design goals of sme server is simplicity, so therefore the weekly or daily choices provided.

As you note, finite adjustment can be made using the command line for those who require finer control etc.

It would also help if you provided all the manual steps you use to create the cron jobs, and suitable code for the server manager GUI to be able to implement these changes.
The more you provide, the more chance there is of your NFR being implemented.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
Mary,

Thanks, I wasn't sure where to shoot this since its not a bug but more or a request but now I know.  Getting back to the point of the request, real simple, take for example that I have this running on our company email server which only makes sense to have it scanned for virus's which is a common practice to scan email for virus's.  The options currently being only Daily and Weekly do not fit into this situation?  I do not want an intensive file scan running during production number 1 and number 2 why not have more control over the scheduling of a scan? Most admins I think tend to schedule scans rather than dumping them into the daily or weekly cron's and I know from my experience I constantly set scans to a schedule that is more defined than a simple Daily or Weekly option?  I am a little lost here on thinking how this request would even be fought with any opposition, to me its just common practice IMHO.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:16:08 AM »
bhay3s

I am a little lost here on thinking how this request would even be fought with any opposition, to me its just common practice IMHO

I am a little lost on your conclusion that this request is being fought with opposition. There is no opposition so far that I can see.
I told you what to do, & where to do it. I advised (from my past experience) the justification that you will need to provide.
I also told you it would be more likely to be implemented if you provided your full manual steps to create these cron jobs (in detail) & if you could also provide the server manager GUI code.

The implementation of new features is usually not just a technical exercise, it is more related to whether a developer has the free time to create & test the necessary code & implement the feature. Again in my experience, most developers are very busy & will only implement a new feature where there is very strong justification, or there is some personal need or interest by themselves.

The more you can provide, the less work there is for a developer to do, & the more likely a NFR will be implemented.

You need to create a bug, rather than continue adding comments here, & please put a link in this thread to the bug number.

Keep in mind, existing functionality covers many users requirements (ie the daily or weekly options) and the CLI is available for those who want finer control. This fits neatly into the sme server design concepts of simplicity. You will have to be proactive if you want additional features added to server manager, meaning you may need to get in & do it yourself or pay a developer to do it. If you show willingness, then developers will hold your hand & guide you re how to develop code, you just have to ask & show some committment to the process.

Until you create a bug report, you will not know what the developers response will be. The above is all my opinion based on experiences with sme server over many years.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:22:16 PM »
To anybody who is looking to modify the clamscan schedule and scan since the only options are (daily, weekly, and never) without any other options for specifying specific directories or files, please see below for instructions. 

1> First step is to disable clamscan within the admin gui [ Configuration -> Antivirus (Clamscan) ] [Scan File System - Never ]
2> Create a simple cron job to your specification
3> Per example below, I created a scan at 11:59PM on Saturdays to scan the /home/e-smith/files/users/ directory and only report infected files and forward the final report to the specified log file as well as the specified email address admin@admin.com.  Place the file under the /etc/cron.d/ directory and name it clamscan for ex.

MAILTO=admin@admin.com
59 23 * * 6 root /usr/bin/clamscan -r --infected --log=/var/log/clamd/clamscan.log /home/e-smith/files/users/

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
For single procesors with a single core.
It is my belief from my observations clamscan is too much of a CPU hog.
I would suggest that the nice command be used with it.
It seems the high CPU effects other services  and the operating system in a bad way when it comes to disk usage.

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »
I only use this scan during non-production hours.  Additionally, I would only recommend using the scan during non-production hours.  I would see no reason why somebody would use an intense file by file scan for virus's during prod hours on top of other applications running in the background, IMHO.  Appreciate the advice however on using nice with the command as that might help somebody out there.