Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Replace Domain Server with Newer Server

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
  • A good plumber, noob developer
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
Replace Domain Server with Newer Server
« on: July 24, 2013, 04:36:56 AM »
Originally had an ill-managed SME 8.0 server acting as a Domain Server for a lot of Windows 7 machines.
Setup a new server from scratch (not with any backup or restore) and set all the settings the same as the original machine.
All home and ibay files were copied over, and all users and server-manager settings were replicated.
I am not able to login through any client Desktop. Error is
"Domain cannot be located"

Both SME servers are acting in server-only mode.
The IP address of the original server was copied to the new server, and the original server was given another IP. Server name and workgroup name was replicated exactly.

Are there certain Samba settings in /etc/ that need to be copied over to facilitate replacing the old domain controller?
Original server is still available as a Proxmox VM.

A restore wasn't used because a lot of test were done on the original production server, which caused lots of errors and issues that I did not want to replicate in the new server environment.
Any other info needed, please let me know.
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC
I Still Don't KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. Please, don't assume I know anything about Linux or Centos, I just know hardware

Offline idp_qbn

• +0/-0
Re: Replace Domain Server with Newer Server
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »
This may be a problem with the Win7 machines not (in Microsoft terms) having a machine account on the server.....like in the NT days of old.
You may have to go to each WIn7 PC, remove it from the domain, then rejoin the domain to get the "machine account" accepted.

How do you leave a domain in Win7?
Right click on My Computer, select "Properties" In the window that pops up, go to the Computer name, Domain and Workgroup settings, and click on Change setting. In the System Properties box that opens up, click on Change Name (which you won't do unless you want to) and select Workgroup instead of Domain. You will need to give a workgroup name. The system may need rebooting after this.

Then do it all again, changing back to being a member of the Domain......and probably rebooting. Isn't Windows wonderful.....

Of course, the problem may lie elsewhere, but hopefully, this willy do it for you (laboriously).

Cheers
Ian

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Re: Replace Domain Server with Newer Server
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »
I know it´s a small number of Win7...but MAY HAVE another way:
1) change domainSID of your server to same old domain sid.
see this URL about it: http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/network_administration_guides/samba_reference_guide/22_rights_09.html

2) recreate amba copmputer accounts (not sure how to do it!) for each machine
(must have an automated way to do it)
or
copy that accounts info (if necessary after bring DomainSID back to same).

PLEASE NOTE DomainSID may create problems to you if you have 2 machines on same net using same number!