Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Adding Windows7 client to Domain breaks WindowsXP client

Offline RF_Guy

• +0/-0
Adding Windows7 client to Domain breaks WindowsXP client
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:21:04 AM »
I'm running a stock SME Server 8.0 in my office.  I have half a dozen WinXP clients that connect to the server on a Domain. The server acts mainly as a file and print server.

One of the PCs is a dual boot PC Windows 7 sp1 and Windows XP sp3.  The XP partition is used daily and contains VB6 development environment that seems to work best in XP, it also contains MS Office and Outlook. Its time to switch MS Office and Outlook over to using Win7 for everyday use however  I still need to occasionally run the old VB6 development environment in the XP partition, so I need to be able to go back to it, boot XP and still have all my network connectivity.

I used the procedure in the HOW TO section of this site at http://wiki.contribs.org/Windows_7_Support to set up a user in the Win7 paritition with the same user name and windows password as the XP partition. User windows 7 password also same as user Domain password.

The Win7 partition can successfully login to the domain and mount network drives from the SME server, but when I go back to boot the XP partition after I enter the login credentials I get 
"Login Message:
! Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found.  Please try again later, if this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance."

I know the domain controller is working, other PCs on the network can login, and the Windows 7 partitions can login, but the XP partitions login on the dual boot XP/Win7 PC is now broken.

Do I have to set up different user names on the server for the XP boot, and Win7 boot?  Id really not have to do that.
Any advice?
Thanks,
RF_guy

Offline Brave Dave

• +0/-0
Re: Adding Windows7 client to Domain breaks WindowsXP client
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 08:21:21 AM »
Hi
Did you use different computer names for WinXP - Win7

Maybe just stating the simple, but if you use the same computer name, the computer account will be clobbered for the other machine (in this case the machine in the other partition)
.:DB:.

Offline RF_Guy

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
Dave,
I think you have identified the problem.  After posting, I thought about what was going on and realized that I had the same computer name on both the XP partition and the Win7 partition. 

I'm out of the office this coming week but will try different names on the two partitions next week when I return.  Example name the XP partition "RFguyPC" name the Win7 partition "RFguyPC1".  I will post the result.

Thanks for your reply,
RF_Guy

Offline RF_Guy

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »
Just to follow up . . .   
I have changed the Computer name of the Windows 7 installation on the dual boot winXP/win7 PC so it is different than the computer name on the Windows XP installation.  Now can successfully log in to the Domain on the SME 8 server using either winXP or win7.

Thanks for the suggestions.

RF_Guy.