Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

password issues on email

Offline sal1504

• +0/-0
password issues on email
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
I have created a maillog account on SME 7.5.1. I am trying to download this information with outlook 2010 to my computer at home. I can access the account using IMAP with my user name and password, but can not access the account using pop3, it does not recognize the user name and password. I have other accounts on this server and can access the mail using either IMAP or POP3. Any information on fixing this would be greatly appreciated. I have gone through the bug list and have found nothing on this issue.

Thanks in advance
Sal1504

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
Re: password issues on email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 06:15:37 PM »
Sal,
You said you can access other accounts using the same software at the same location?
Or is it you can access other accounts from other locations with the same software.
I will IM you a link to some windows non gui pop3 software I have to test with.

added:
I do not see a way to IM you Sal.

look here for a way to find my website
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,49694.msg248541.html

pop3list should help you to test with.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:22:03 PM by purvis »

Offline sal1504

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »
I  can access other accounts on this server using office 2010 but when i try to access the account maillog I can access it with IMAP but when i try to access with POP3 it says that the username or password is incorrect. To me this seems to be a password issue. I have tried using webmail and i also works.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »
how many messages do you have in maillog's account?

Offline sal1504

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:27:13 AM »
stefano

Since I use this account to keep all incoming and outgoing emails for the company it is over 200,000 emails

Sal

Offline warren

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
Have you enabled  diagnostic logging for Outlook ?
 Open Outlook ==> Click file "options" ==>Clicl "advanced"==>Scroll down to Other, and check the box to enable troubleshooting logging. Restart Outlook.
Once enabled, several log files are generated. Most of them are found in c:usersusernameAppDataLocalTempOutlook Logging. Logging will include details for MAPI, SMTP, IMAP, and POP3 connections in cleartext.

Alternatively, have you tried thunderbird ?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
I have created a maillog account on SME 7.5.1. I am trying to download this information with outlook 2010 to my computer at home. I can access the account using IMAP with my user name and password, but can not access the account using pop3, it does not recognize the user name and password. I have other accounts on this server and can access the mail using either IMAP or POP3. Any information on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm curious as to why you think it's important to you to access the mail via POP3. IMAP works - isn't that good enough?

Secondly, you should upgrade asap to sme8 - sme7 is end-of-life, and now unmaintained. If you still have a user authentication problem with pop3 on sme8, then you should report the problem via the bug tracker - link is above.

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
You might think about using Mailstore instead of Outlook ... much better searching, more stable storage (PST? Pfui) AND the index *includes attachments*.

http://www.mailstore.com/

The Home version is excellent for storing an individual account, though of course you *should* purchase the Server edition if appropriate for your business :)