Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Server CPU's running at 100%

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
Server CPU's running at 100%
« on: May 18, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »
Something strange is going on, I have a dual CPU Opteron server, in the past processor load never went over 16%, now since yesterday I see that the server is running at 100% constantly.
How can I find out what is causing the 100% CPU load?
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Server CPU's running at 100%
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »
calisun.. did you search with google?
this is something not strictly related to SME

in any case, top an htop.. and google, of course.. ;-)

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:06:16 AM »
Found out what is wrong, Chinese bots were creating insane amount of users/ pages on my multisite wordpress install, over 15,000 users and pages were created during the weekend. It took me a while to clean it all out, but after several hours of cleaning and implementing several spam defenses, everything is back to normal.

But I would like to say KOODOS to SME server, with the insane amount of traffic and with both CPU's running at 100% the whole weekend, SME server did not crash.
Also KOODOS to all SME developers for focusing on security. Besides hammering my wordpress install, all my ports were pinged over and over by dozens of Chinese IP's and they were not able to get in.
It did help by me not allowing clear passwords because I use public key to access my server, and I also have DenyHosts contrib. But SME held out great, thanks to all developers.
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:55 AM »
In today's environment. This shows one reason to have two servers in a environment where data is essential and the need to access that data is of high importance.
I really dislike any evil doers on the internet.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:10:32 AM by purvis »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
In today's environment. This shows one reason to have two servers in a environment where data is essential and the need to access that data is of high importance.

It doesn't matter whether you have one server or one hundred. If you have vulnerable software and you expose it to the Internet you will have problems.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
I was mostly referring to where accessing data on a server in house is crucial on a day to day basis.
Of course there are all kinds of set ups of infrastructure for network servers now and data can be just about anything.