Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

FTP weirdness on file transfers (permissions and ownership).

Offline Laager

• +0/-0
FTP weirdness on file transfers (permissions and ownership).
« on: April 23, 2013, 03:02:37 AM »
I've run SME since v5 days and also had my own domain on the same box.

I've just changed to 8.0 64 bit. Fresh install of 8.0 with a workstation restore from a 7.6 backup to get back all the necessary user data.

Previously, when using ftp to drop a new folder containing files into the main website (Primary/html/) using admin's credentials, each folder created would have admin/shared ownership and 42750 permissions. Files within would be admin/shared with 100640.

All fine.

Now, using the same Windows ftp clients (Dreamweaver and FlashFXP) with no change in their configuration at all, new folders are created with admin/shared ownership and 40755 permissions. Files within the folders are created as admin/admin and 100640.

The admin/admin is obviously causing problems as a 403 results when using a browser. Manually changing permissions on new files when shelled in just isn't a viable option going forward.

However, if I ftp a file into an existing folder, it arrives with admin/shared and 100640. So, it's only when I'm transferring a folder which contains files does the admin/admin ownership get applied to the folder's subfiles. If I create a folder in one step and transfer files into it in a separate step, all is well.

I'm reasonably confident with shelling in to fix things but I really don't have a clue where to look to change the default assigned permissions and ownership of files ftp'd into the Primary iBay. Search didn't bring up anything.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:11:35 AM by Laager »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: FTP weirdness on file transfers (permissions and ownership).
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
Any ideas?

1. Create a bug report
2. Stop using ftp :-)