Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Deferred outgoing email - is it possible?

Offline gbentley

• +0/-0
  • Forum Lurker
    • Earth
Re: Deferred outgoing email - is it possible?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 08:59:56 AM »
@purvis - you must be able to read the matrix!

Just been looking at various options on second line / dsl service as well as devices.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/44-neteyes-cyclone200.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peplink-Balance-20-Dual-WAN-Gigabit/dp/B0042210U6

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2920.html

The support on the last link have been quite helpful - I had read somewhere that some devices cannot balance upstream data? Here was the reply about session based load balancing;

"A 'session' might be one activity that a client PC is doing, for example, downloading a file, viewing a web site. If a PC downloads a file and then watches a video (both from the Internet) then the load balancing will put the filedownload request down one WAN connection and the video down the other.

By default, the router will split sessions equally but you can set up rules if you prefer (e.g. email always goes down WAN1 etc.).  Therefore, you don't have to do any setup if you are happy with the default arrangement."

Oh, nearly forgot - BT in the UK have not advertised this, but there seem to have been some sites where they have increased the upstream to almost a meg! Whilst its not much its better than the average I have seen of about .5 mb
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:08:40 AM by gbentley »
"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't."

Offline gbentley

• +0/-0
  • Forum Lurker
    • Earth
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
since I guess you have a router/firewall in front of your SME, work on it.. even the cheapest one, nowadays, support band shaping

Its a NG DG834 - I have scoured the interface and it seems quite basic but I have been considering creating outbound rules and logging for only specific services, rather than just 'default all' - in an attempt to understand our data output.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »
I had just come across this webpage and thought it might be of some use on achieving  a faster web experience using slow internet connections. I will let the reader interrupt the webpage.
http://www.die.net/musings/page_load_time/

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »
I have use some of the NG fvs124g routers for years.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/FVS124G/FVS124G_RM_30Mar05.pdf
There are newer models.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:54:16 AM by purvis »

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 03:52:04 AM »
gbentley

You might want to look into celluar internet service too as an additon.
It can be amazing how much faster it is compared to dsl.
A few years ago, I tethered my iphone 3gs to an apple macbook pro laptop computer by way of a usb connection and rebroadcast the internet connection using the same apple computer out the  built apple's airport wireless network connection, there by making my apple a gateway(wireless hot spot).
I could have made the apple's wired connection the gateway.
This was all to easy to do.
I always thought my iphone was slow because of the internet. It was the iphone itself was slow.
The speed thru the iphone was faster than our offices internet connection.
Now i have an iphone 5 with 4g. The speed of downloads and uploads is so fast, it is just crazy.
I had an unlimited internet usage on my phone then and my brother who does the cellular phone management dropped everybody's internet data plan  to save 350 dollars a month by putting all our celluar internet data service on a large shared data plan unknowing the result on my phone. But it is saving a lot of money each year, because I did not really need that unlimited plan.
But look into cellular internet service if you do not have other good choices.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:41 AM »
gbentley
You can also do this.
At dyndns.com they offer a service called dyn email backup mx.
What this service does is catch all your email while your email server is down.
I used this service once at one office location where a email server was at because our internet service was going in and out.
Yes it was the internet service provider's  fault due to some glitch in they network. They finally fixed it after a year. Drove me crazy working on it.

But here is a thought for you.
It is thinking out the box like i have always HAD to do to fix problems.

I am not suggesting you do this but with some others input it might be a work around for you.
Like you said, is there a way to pause email.
here goes
If you have a bash script that is run in the cron.hourly directory.
You should be able to start and stop the email services of sending or receiving emails at the times you choose.
You can have the email services running all night and other odd days such as weekends.
During the day, you can start,stop,suspend those services on a schedule.
When you stop/suspend the email service, the dyn email backup mx should catch your receiving emails and deliver them when you email service is back running.
Of course you have figure all this out. But for any troublesome internet connection, this might work.
I have used dyndns.com for all my services. There are cheaper services out there but i have to give them a gold star on service and support.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 04:23:46 AM »
gbentley

Also internet access activity by a workstation can be overwhelming these days.
If you can figure out a way of blocking a workstation to certain sites(googleanalytics, advertising, etc) or certain programs accessing to certain sites at different times of the day.
That would also reduce your internet activity.

Here are some things to help you do that.
Use a proxy server and block those sites.
Use a proxy server on each the local workstation and block sites using the power of the workstation rather than a dictated server or router(blocking sites by router will slow your router down) to stop internet access to those sites.
Use toplang.com Internet Lock to block certain program from accessing the internet or block certain program from having access to the internet by time.
Toplang gave me a very good rate on bulk purchase and the program works and Internet Lock does not slow my workstations down.

Offline gbentley

• +0/-0
  • Forum Lurker
    • Earth
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 08:20:19 AM »
Am using OpenDNS free service to block certain sites and stop staff wasting time. In truth they are mostly well behaved people who are driven to get work done on design / CAD and dont waste time surfing. Over the last 2-3 years the amount of work processed via email has probably increased 3 fold and I would say that 90% of their comms is email. They do however have to use planning portals which involve and interactive selective upload session again adding more traffic to their upstream. At times surfing is perfectly acceptable, others its dog slow or stop. And of course because of the random nature of peoples behaviour its hard to say when its going to be usable.

I thank you for your suggestions though. Just today I have seen the results of putting in a request for uncapping the upstream. We are now getting .864 mb up and it already feels better doing remote admin! Will know by the end of the day whether the rest of the office 'feel' any difference.

Out of interest we are with www.plus.net in the UK - on a standard business account.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »
Your dsl is much faster up and down than ours was and your prices seem to be much less. I do not know what a line cost though.  We are on cable now.