Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Some mails not being sorted from local catchall box that should be

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
    • http://www.joshua-wopr.com
For a long time I have had my sme 7.5 server configured to collect the mails from my website's pop server into a local catchall box and then sort from there into local mailboxes, or something like that, anyway... it has been so long since I configured this, I have no memory of how I did it or where in server-manager it's set.

I have everything set up so all my mailboxes on the SME server box are accessed via IMAP, and I leave Thunderbird sitting open all day, with several separate mailboxes open in it.

Today I ran into an issue that turned out to be due to the newly updated version of Avast! Antivirus from yesterday. (Yesterday my Avast! antivirus updated to a new version, and it popped up a dialog box saying something about how they'd added new support that would let me turn back on some setting or other and that they could now virus-check my mail on a secure IMAP connection, or something of the sort.  I just clicked through and continued my usual mail activities as usual, and Thunderbird worked like usual after that, but today I got NO new messages showing up at all in Thunderbird until I turned off mail scanning altogether!  And then I discovered all messages I'd read the day before were still tagged as unread.  oO  But, I digress...  That's not why I'm posting this message.)

Anyway, before I figured out it was my antivirus borking things, I started poking around in the local catchall box via Horde... and while I wasn't seeing the missing messages from today (which later showed up in the appropriate boxes after I disabled email scanning in my antivirus) I DID notice something rather peculiar.

Apparently some messages that would normally be sent to a sub-folder of one of the mailboxes are being left sitting in the catchall box instead, and this has been going on for at least a few days without me noticing it.  (I haven't gone back past page 3 or so of the catchall box to check.)  What's weird is that some of these same type mails HAVE been going to the appropriate box, but these didn't, even though they clearly have the appropriate mailbox address in the To: line.

Most of what's in there appears to be assorted junk mail, but I'm also seeing a number of JIRA messages from Second Life in there, and these have the appropriate, local mailbox in the To: line of the mail.  What's strange is, I HAVE been seeing SOME Jira messages show up in the correct box for that account, and then being sorted (by SME Server) into an appropriate folder at that other mailbox, but it now appears that many more of these Jira messages have been left in the Catchall box instead of being sent to the appropriate box.... even though the appropriate mailbox address appears in To: for those mails.

Any ideas what's messed up here?  oO