Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

sme 8 install as gateway - no Internet

Offline cyberson

• +0/-0
sme 8 install as gateway - no Internet
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:17:32 AM »
Hello world! Man that was alem, anyway, I am installing sme server 8 on a third machine (I really like it but just practicing so far, none in production) but this is the first as as a gateway. The local network nic is working, but the internet connection nic is not getting an address from the cable terminal (I can't bring myself to call them a modem, sorry). I have a fair amount of knowledge with Debian, but very little with Redhat derivatives. ifconfig shows only eth0, my local nic. there is a dev5492 but it lists no ip address. I am working on a poweredge 840. The local network is the add on nic and the Internet is on the mobo nic. I just had a flash that the brand of the mobo nic (broadcom) is problematic with Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I should have included any other info, let me know. thx (I also tested the Internet connection by plugging another computer into the cable terminal and was connected right away, and yes I did power off the terminal, multiple times.)

Offline larieu

• +0/-0
Re: sme 8 install as gateway - no Internet
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:39 AM »
use SSH or the physical keyboard/monitor of your server

you can login direct as admin with your pass and you'll be prompted with the console
or login as root and issue the command console

there you have an option "configure this server"
more details here

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter6

follow the steps on option 2 (configure) pay attention on selected network
after this you'll reboot the server and you should see both ETH

if everybody's life around you is better, probably yours will be better
just try to improve their life

Offline cyberson

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:36:53 AM »
I've tried that, and even switched the cables, but I will try it again. thx

Offline cyberson

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:10:32 AM »
Well, you were right in that now I have an eth1 in addition to eth0, but I still can't get a public IP address. I think I'm giving up for the night though. thx

Offline cyberson

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
I have contacted brighthouse support and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with their box, as evidenced by the fact that I get a connection right away when I plug a workstation into it.

I now have the server configured with on nic local, which works fine and I can ping back and forth. And I have the on-board nic set as the Internet connection. But instead of connecting it directly to the brighthouse box, I have it connected to my router. Should this work? Or will the server recognize that it is a private address and reject it? I just realized there are many other problems with this configuration though. For instance my router is set up with the same DHCP IP range. After I post this I will take that router out and put in another one. thx

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »
cybersom, welcome here

please, give us more info:
internal (lan side) ip of SME
external (wan side) ip of SME
internal (private) ip of your router.. is it natting your public IP?

help us to help you.. "it doesn't work" doesn't help :-)

Offline cyberson

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
The internal is 192.168.88.1 and the range it is set to offer is 192.168.88.165-199.

External is DHCP, butdoes not get address and is the purpose of these posts.
(Although I may not have explained well enough that it still will not get an ip address even from my router.
But when I swap the cables, both )

As I mentioned the router IP was the same. I am still swapping out routers to find one that has a different range, faster than trying to reconfigure one. thx

Offline cyberson

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
Ok, the external on the server should now be in the 192.168.1 range. (A workstation connected to this router immediately gets an IP 192.168.1.100 and has internet access.)
I have just reconfigured the server and switched the cables again, so now the on-board is external and the add-on nic is local.
The server is rebooting.

Offline larieu

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »
cyberson

from your description you have another device which is DHCP server and NAT for your ISP connection

1. First I'll set a static IP
1.1. with one computer connected into your ISP device (router) make a scan (you can use for example angry IP scanner) and find "used IP's"
1.2. on console set fixed IP (any other one not used except the gateway)
- note1 -
put as DHCP your Gateway router  - this should "solve" the internet connection

- note2 - use the same port(eventually the same cable used for your spare computer)

2. if all ok I'll set an static DHCP entry on your ISP router and set back the server in console as DHCP client + note 2 (above)

3. if all ok put your ISP router in bridge mode and set your server in console as PPPoA or PPPoE client (you'll need your user/pass from ISP)

DHCP entry (your mac address = physical address) of your desired NIC with a static entry
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:36:25 AM by larieu »
if everybody's life around you is better, probably yours will be better
just try to improve their life

Offline cyberson

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »
Sorry to take so long to get back. Had my head buried in other things.

Anyway, it occurred to me to use one of the other boxes I had SME installed on.
Worked immediately. There was some kind of hiccup in that particular box.
Later I tried the box that hadn't been working and now it recognized both nics and worked fine.

I have some questions now about windows domain availability through the SME VPN, but if I'm not mistaken, I have to post a new question.

Thank you for all your help.