Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[solved] getting "sms server Upstream SMTP server not available" on outgoing mai

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
    • http://www.joshua-wopr.com
A couple of weeks ago, I had to change the way my SMS Server connects to the world.  We switched ISPs, and their supplied modem/router is addressed as 192.168.1.254 while my old router was addressed as 192.168.0.1, I actually had the old router in place behind the new modem/router for a couple of months (don't ask! :D ) and everything worked fine, I could send out and receive emails without trouble.  I ran into a problem where I finally had to pull the old router out of the system, and discovered I had to change the SMS Server over to being on the 192.168.1.x range, or my regular machine now couldn't reach it (since I had to change that machine to the 192.168.1.x range to be able to access the outside world, but SMS Server just refused to let anything on other than the 192.168.0.x range access its web interface), but I'd gotten everything reconfigured the way I needed to.  Or so I'd thought, anyway.  I mean, I can GET all my emails from my website's web server... but I've just discovered my sent mails are not getting OUT.

I posted a reply to an email to someone a week or so ago... but tonight I got back a bounced mail saying:

Code: [Select]
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at joshua-wopr.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<REDACTED@REDACTED.com>:
Connected to 127.0.0.1 but greeting failed.
Remote host said: 451 Upstream SMTP server not available
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

joshua-wopr.com is the name of my own registered domain name, but SMS Server uses that name internally as well.

On the Manage Domains page, I've got the Primary corporate DNS server and Secondary corporate DNS server both set to 192.168.1.254

Am I missing something?  oO
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:10:33 AM by NomadOfNorad »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
NomadOfNorad

A couple of weeks ago.... We switched ISPs....
Remote host said: 451 Upstream SMTP server not available
Am I missing something?

Read the error message.

It seems your ISP's smtp server is not reachable.
If you need to specify your ISP's smtp server (perhaps because you are on a dynamic IP), did you change the ISP's smtp server details in the server manager email panel to suit the new ISP ?

Otherwise your new ISP may be blocking your sme server from sending mail (ie because you are using a residential connection), or may not allow the sending of mail (for the same reason).

In that case you may need to specify an smtp server in the Email panel (if not already done).

Contact the ISP & ask them & see if they are blocking port 25 outright, or just blocking your server from sending email (because they do not want mail servers on residential connections).
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
Thing is, it was working fine before, for weeks, with the same ISP.  The only difference is, I had another router BETWEEN my machines and their router, so clearly they cannot be blocking port 25 or my mails wouldn't have been getting out before I pulled the old router off my LAN, either.

If it helps figure things out, I'm using AT&T U-verse.

I was on Clearwire before, and their modem was just a modem (that is, no router on it) with just the one ethernet connector.  I have several machines in this room on a LAN, with ONE machine out in another room, connected via a really long ethernet cable.  The Clearwire modem was in the same room as most of the machines, but when we switched, the new modem was now in the other room, with that long ethernet cable running from the back of the router here (where the Clearwire modem used to be connected) to a regular ethernet port on the new modem/router there, but I'd left everything in the LAN in this room the same.  I placed the issue of there now being two routers into the "I'll deal with it later" pile, since everything still worked: mail still came in and went out, and I could still websurf and whatnot from my PC.

Well, a bit over a week ago, after an unrelated issue with my internet service (the connection quality had suddenly plummeted), I finally decided to pull the old router out of the equation to simplify troubleshooting the other problem, which turned into a headache of its own because the U-verse modem/router is hard-coded to be on the 192.168.1.x range instead of my preferred 192.168.0.x range.  Normally that wouldn't have been an issue, since machines on such "adjacent" ranges can see and interact with each other... but SMS Server, as some sort of security feature, is hard coded to only let someone on the SAME range get to its configuration web page, and this security feature apparently cannot be turned off! (Facedesks!!!)  So, I had to go in and change the server to now be 192.168.1.5 instead of the 192.168.0.5 that it was before.  And of course I had to change things so everything now went out through 192.168.1.254 instead of 192.168.0.1 (which was the address of the old router).

The only thing I can think of is, I maybe missed a configuration tweek somewhere on one of the panes in the SMS Server web interface.  That, or the u-verse modem/router does NOT do something my old router DID do related to connecting or directing local machines to the outside world.  I DO know the old router had a mechanism in it to hand out local IP addresses to machines on the LAN that needed them, which I don't know if the u-verse router does, but I don't think that has anything to do with my issue.

---addendum:

Going to the Configuration > E-Mail pane and clicking the Change email delivery settings button (but then leaving things untouched), it seems under SMTP Server, I have Address of Internet provider's mail server set to my webspace provider's outgoing email system, on port 587.  That is, I have in that field something like joshua-w.mywebprovider.com:587 and I have SMTP Authentication for Internet provider set to Enabled.

Again, everything worked fine before I pulled the second router out of the equation, with the same ISP.  Again, pretty much the ONLY change in it's settings that has been made was that SMS Server is now 192.168.1.5 instead of 192.168.0.5, and it is pointed to 192.168.1.254 instead of 192.168.0.1 as the gateway address.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:19:02 AM by NomadOfNorad »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
On the Manage Domains page, I've got the Primary corporate DNS server and Secondary corporate DNS server both set to 192.168.1.254

Likely not directly related to your problem, but you should probably clear both of those settings. Unless your router  is publishing DNS records specifically for use on your LAN it is not necessary to specify any DNS server - SME server will resolve perfectly well itself.

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
Well, my old router had a built in DNS server for the LAN.  I've now removed the corporate DNS address stuff.  Should I reboot the server to make it now "rethink" its relation to the rest of cyberspace?

--addendum:

Oh, screw it...  :D [Invokes a reboot from the web interface...]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:44:09 PM by NomadOfNorad »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
From 'root' shell on your SME server (e.g putty login), do:

host joshua-w.mywebprovider.com
telnet joshua-w.mywebprovider.com 587

and report what you see. Ctl-C to quit telnet.

That setting looks wrong to me.  You probably should be relaying outbound mail via your ISP, not your website hoster.

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
Okay, well, another test mail I sent last night to my yahoo box made it out a few moments ago, so I guess taking 192.168.1.254 out of the settings and then rebooting the server sorted it.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Okay, well, another test mail I sent last night to my yahoo box made it out a few moments ago, so I guess taking 192.168.1.254 out of the settings and then rebooting the server sorted it.

Never trust a router to do name resolution.

Please add 'Solved' to the thread subject.

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
Yup.