Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hard Drive Activity

Offline Bud

• +0/-0
Hard Drive Activity
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »
guys hope you can help

using sme 8 (server only)

after i did a " signal-event post-upgrade; signal-event reboot " the hard drive is very active and my network connection to the server is very slow.

i have 16Gig of Ram with 1 x 1T Drive

i am not running raid

any ideas what i can look for to check why there is so much activity on the server

any help greatly appreciated

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Hard Drive Activity
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »
what about using top/htop?
another way to find what's running is
Code: [Select]
tail -f /var/log/messages

just my 2c: 1TB hd with no raid is not a smart idea.. ;-)

Offline Bud

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »
Stafano thinks for your support, much appreciated

i will get back to you with my findings

i will be installing raid soon however this is a new installation and i am having this problem with the hard drive being very active.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
FYI
I recycled the power on our server to correct a problem with our internet connection.
If there was other issues with the server, i did not catch it.

I am not sure what might of happened to one of my stable long running (STAND ALONE not gateway)servers, but it caused networking issues and slowed all newtwork traffic to the internet.
I was trying the newest update last night and had the problems with the yum update concerning samba.
I did so many things to try to make the update work, but i never did have a solution.

If this server had other issues than ethernet, i did not notice or care to notice.
I shutdown the server from the command prompt, not a reboot from the command prompt, then rebooted the computer.
That solved my issues on the ethernet.
So i then did another shutdown including the halt command and then recycled the power on the computer.
Update issues still exist but it seemed to solve the ethernet issues i was having.

Because we have a single modem connecting to the internet and two routers that split out internet services up using two different wan ip address and both lan sides to the internet where effected when this was happening. All i can figure was the server was likely in some way trying to access the internet and there seemed the mess up.  I do not feel this was an internet attack of any kind.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:16:37 PM by purvis »