Mail Problems

Offline Bud

• +0/-0
Mail Problems
« on: January 15, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
guys hope you can help

using sme 8 (server only)

i have a client with a domain called eg: myclient.com

the sme 8 server is on a dynamic ip address using adsl to connect to the internet

the client's web domain " myclient.com " is hosted with another company
the client has a catchall account with the same hosting company where the client's website " myclient.com " is hosted

i have a few questions regarding the setup of the sme 8 server

1. the sme 8 server configuration domain name is also " myclient.com " - IS THIS CORRECT

2. in " server manager > configuration > domains > " the domain is called " myclient.com " - IS THIS CORRECT

3. the settings in Domain DNS servers = Resolve Locally - IS THIS CORRECT

4. in " server manager > configuration > email > change email reception settings > E-mail retrieval mode = multi drop

5. in " server manager > configuration > email > change email reception settings > SMTP authentication = Allow both SMTP and SSMTP

6. in " server manager > configuration > email > change email delivery settings > SMTP server = mail.myclient.com
                                                                    SMTP Authentication for Internet provider = Enabled
                                                                                                    Mail server user id = bulkmail@myclient.com
                                                                                                Mail server password = password

i cannot retrieve nor send any mail via the sme 8 server from the hosting company catchall mailbox
i need to retrieve all mail for the client from the catchall mailbox and i need to smtp via the client's hosted website mailbox with authentication.

what am i doing wrong ??  :(

any help greatly appreciated

Offline snuggles99

• +0/-0
Re: Mail Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:17:22 PM »
Hi Bud,

I am far away from a pro, but have just set up my own SME 8.0 and think I can help.

If I understand correctly, you client has his domain "myclient.com" hosted externally, and you want to use the sme server only for email distribution, right?
Then IMHO the setting should be

1. No - put something else there, as "myclient.com" already points to the domain hosted by ISP.
2. No - same as 1.
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes

In order to make the sending of emails work you need also to configure the Email-Client correctly. Make sure you have SSL encryption enabled in the Email-client (this was the problem I had with sending emails via the SME server).

In order to retrieve emails for several internal users from external mailboxes you will need to install a contrib like: Fetchmail
http://www.schirrms.net/sme/SMEFetchMail.php

Hope this helps?

regards
Stefan 

Offline engdev

• +0/-0
Re: Mail Problems
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
Bud,

We have a similar setup. We use Google apps for our email and our ISP hosts our website, both the same domain name. In order to make it all work the MX records at our ISP point to the Google servers. SME is setup to connect to our ISP's mailserver for emails using Fetchmail as we have multiple accounts.

To answer your questions:
1) Yes that's fine, same as mine.
2) Ditto above
3) Yes
4) We use the Fetchmail contrib so this is set to "Standard (SMTP)". In your case I think you need to configure the multi drop settings with your catchall account bulkmail@myclient.com so that SME can distribute the emails to the local boxes.
5) Yes
6) This should point to your ISP's mailserver eg:
 Address: mailhost.zen.co.uk
SMTP: disabled (depends on your ISP)
mail server user id: your ISP username
mail server pwd: ISP password

Hope this helps, I can highly recommend Fetchmail if it's appropriate for your needs.

regards

John