Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

bacula client not working

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
bacula client not working
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:49:02 PM »
I installed bacula-client on my SME 8 server, but I cant connect to it. Its running, and I see its listening on the right port:

# yum install bacula-client

# netstat -nlap | grep bacula
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9102                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      5916/bacula-fd

# /etc/init.d/bacula-fd status
bacula-fd (pid 5916) is running...

But no connections. I cannot telnet to the port from the SME server or from a peer, and my bacula director wont connect to it. Its not a name or port or password issue.

This should connect, and it shouldnt matter if I use 'localhost' or the actual ip address:

# telnet localhost 9102
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:50:51 PM by compdoc »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: bacula client not working
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
compdoc

You've been here enough to know that we don't know anything about your setup and you are expected to tell us:
- SME mode (server only? server and gateway?)
- if there's anything strange in log files (did you take a look at them?)

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »
I imagine it's not responding because SME firewall is blocking it.
I'd need the results of:
Code: [Select]
config show bacula
to be sure.
I'm thinking you should open firewall using something like this:
config setprop bacula access private TCPPort 9102
signal-event remoteaccess-update

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
jader, thanks for the reply. Its nice when people like you try to help without making judgements or accusations like others here on these boards. Your help is greatly appreciated.

"config show bacula" shows nothing, so I hesitated to enter the command "config setprop bacula access private TCPPort 9102" but decided the entry couldnt hurt. However, it had no effect.

It does seem to be blocked in some way. This is local access only and a quick look at iptables (with my limited understanding of iptables) seems to show all local traffic is allowed. Is there a way to list opened or blocked local ports?

Nothing shows in the logs, although Im not sure which log might be useful. There is no bacula log.

Again, thanks.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »
jader, thanks for the reply. Its nice when people like you try to help without making judgements or accusations like others here on these boards. Your help is greatly appreciated.

since your post had only 2 answers, I guess you are referring to me

there's no kind of accusation or judgement in my words, I have no reason to do so
but you should know that the first rule to have help (because you are coming here asking for help, aren't you?) is to help US to help YOU

you are (likely) thousands miles from here.. I (we) don't know anything about your setup and we can't see your screen or read your mind.

"config show bacula" shows nothing, so I hesitated to enter the command "config setprop bacula access private TCPPort 9102" but decided the entry couldnt hurt. However, it had no effect.

it does not work because is not complete
config set bacula service access private TCPPort 9102
signal-event remoteaccess-update

is the right one

It does seem to be blocked in some way. This is local access only and a quick look at iptables (with my limited understanding of iptables) seems to show all local traffic is allowed. Is there a way to list opened or blocked local ports?

Nothing shows in the logs, although Im not sure which log might be useful. There is no bacula log.

Again, thanks.

is your server in server only mode or server and gateway?
how did you start bacula client?

how did you install bacula client?

since this is not a contrib (i.e. there's no, AFAIK, a smeserver/e-smith bacula rpm), did you search with google howto setup onto CentOS?

if you think I'm here to accuse or judge you just tell me, I will stop trying to help and bother you

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »
compdoc, did you solve your issue?