Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

remoteuseraccess

Offline keithone33

• +0/-0
Re: remoteuseraccess
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »
answer to first post i thought i have already done all this a couple of times, yes shows output of three so i finished up (again) at the end i get

"repository 'sme7contribs' is missing in configuration, using id"

then

"error getting repository data for sme7contribs enablerepo=smecontribs, repository not found"
?

Offline michelandre

• +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »
db yum_repositories show sme7contribs;

db yum_repositories set sme7contribs repository  GPGCheck yes  MirrorList http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/smeserver/mirrorlist/smecontribs-7  Name 'SME 7 - contribs'  Visible no status disabled;

db yum_repositories show sme7contribs;

signal-event yum-modify;

yum clean all;

yum --enablerepo=sme7contribs --enablerepo=smecontribs  install  smeserver-remoteuseraccess;

copy everything above *********** and paste it on the console, all at the same time

Then copy all from the console and paste it here.

Michel-André

Offline keithone33

• +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »
cannot copy between computer!

Offline michelandre

• +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »

Offline keithone33

• +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 01:09:06 AM »
can't get it to download i am done for this evening will be back some time sunday

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 04:10:28 AM »
keithone33

Part of your problem may be that you installed sme7.x (which version, 7.6 ?) operating system (I assume from CD) and then did not do a update to get latest packages, including yum repository locations which have significantly changed since sme7 was released, and also very recently due to End of Life (EOL) for Centos 4.x.
If the repository databases are incorrect then of course you will get errors when trying to update packages.

See
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,48424.0.html
and
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,49361.0.html

So if you must (for now) persist with sme7.x, then initially do
yum update
then do
signal-event post-upgrade

Then you should have a properly configured smecontribs repo.
You can check it by doing
db yum_repositories show smecontribs
which should look very similar or identical to this

smecontribs=repository
    BaseURL=http://mirror.contribs.org/pub/smeserver/releases/7/smecontribs/$basearch
    EnableGroups=yes
    GPGCheck=yes
    MirrorList=http://mirrorlist.contribs.org/mirrorlist/smecontribs-7
    Name=SME Server - contribs
    Visible=no
    status=disabled

Note when using sme7.x server you DO NOT need to setup the sme7contribs repository, doing this is ONLY required for sme8, so that contrib packages & rpms that are not yet in the sme8 version of the smecontribs repo, can be accessed.

I really strongly advise you to use sme8, life moves on, all of our attention is now with sme8, so you would be best to use it also.
The package you want to install is known to work with sme8 & should easily install, if the system is configured correctly. There are no demons waiting here to block or stop this, just incorrect user/server configuration or settings due possibly to misunderstandings brought on as a result of the shift from sme7 to sme 8 operating system & the different repo settings required temporarily while the sme8 repos are populated with old el4 contribs, or newer el5 versions of them where applicable.

The issue as I see it for you, despite you saying you followed all instructions and did things 3 times over etc, is that you obviously did something wrong or incorrect or overlooked some requirements. If you had accurately & carefully followed the advice given earlier, then everything you were told would (& should) have worked.
So therefore, as far as I am concerned, you are doing something incorrectly somewhere.

That's why you have to accurately follow ALL advice given & do not miss out on any steps, as you did miss out on seeing & doing a very important step earlier in this thread.

Now we need to unravel what you are doing wrong, but it should only be a minor issue, albeit with a seemingly serious impact to you.

You need to stop changing ships mid way through the problem. Being on sme8 then going back to sme 7 etc, does not help you or us track the issue you are having & I'm sure, really really confuses you. Better to just stick with it on sme8 & resolve the problem on sme8.

It's also important that you paste accurate output results & messages you see on the screen, so we can interpret what your problem is. The answer is usually in the error messages !
Sort out your download problems & install Putty. Connect a workstation to the server and make sure you can ping the server from the workstations.
ie at a DOS prompt issue
ping serverIP
eg ping 192.168.1.1
Then use Putty to access the server.
In the Putty window you can cut & paste the screen contents & commands etc (both ways to & from the server), so be careful when using it.

To coy the screen output, right click the little icon in the top left corner of Putty and select Copy all to Clipboard
Then paste it into a post on this forum.

In the opposite way you can copy the command from the forum screen, and then right click in the prompt area of Putty and that will paste the command in (eg to set up a repo). Thi s saves typing & saves making errors. The press Enter to run that command.
Then check the output of the db settings (or whatever) & capture it as described above & post it here.

Your problem should be resolved very quickly.

Otherwise you can just manually retype the output form the console screen on the server and post it here. Again it should be a very quick fix to setup the repos correctly.
You must be accurate with what you type & what you say to us, & work slowly please.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline keithone33

• +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 06:34:30 PM »
I don’t know where to begin!
Maybe first why was user access not include in the distro to start with?
Next the people that work with SME everyday take a lot for granted when trying to explain things (assume)
I have 10 servers 4 with another OS, and 6 with SME.
When I first started it took 6 months after installing SME 7 to access it, it was a simple thing really, but it took a linux book for dummies to find the answer. When I set it up it asked for a password that was good, but after booting up it asked for log in, and it seems at the time root did not work on the first login. Surprise enter “admin”
I have been working on the ftp server for over a year trying to get access, somewhere buried in the documentation I found that I was missing a contrib most probably “remote user access”, I don’t know why it was buried so far down in the documentation.
A couple of week ago I found the directions to install “remote user access” gave up and posted on the forum.
This is where the fun starts!
I try to use everything as it comes out of the box, as I hate modifying stuff from the ink I work with to the programs and OS’s.
Part of the problem is font interpretation, what looks good in one is not readable in another, especially spaces!
So when Michel-André said to use putty, it would have been a real big help is he had mentioned to use it on a windows machine, I know the html part should have been a clue but I missed it.
Then Mary “bless her heart” when I went back and reread her reply, I realized that I should look in the windows machine (light bulb went on).
So after all that I got it working, still can’t access from the outside world but I’ll get that fixed.
Finally having many servers allowed me some flexibility, someone very insistently suggested I go back and do just as the directions said, that page began with SME 7, after some aggravation, I went back to a SME 8 machine.
Then using putty made it work!
It’s just aggravating when small details that a experienced operator knows are assumed to be known by all.
And last, it would be nice if someone when back and removed or replaced out dated directions in contribs, or at least a line added “has been superceded by”

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:14 AM »
keithone33

I don’t know where to begin!

Well, say Thank You to mary & others who tried to help you here, & also apologise to others for getting frustrated with them.

Maybe first why was user access not include in the distro to start with?

ftp access is included but not enabled by default, it can be turned on in server manager. Usage is described in the Manual (link at top of this forum so it is EASY to find) Chapter 14, ibay directories, read it completely & carefully & slowly.

As far as contribs (such as the remote access contrib) are concerned, if every contrib was installed n the base sme server OS, then the core developers would have to spend a lot of time maintaining those contribs. It is a design decision NOT to include contribs in the base OS, other than essential ones, and to allow other external developers & maintainers to look after contribs. They are very easy to install in most cases, but instructions do need to be followed.

Next the people that work with SME everyday take a lot for granted when trying to explain things (assume)

Maybe, but you do have a thing called Google, which has the answers.
A search on Putty would very quickly have told you how to use it and configure it.

When I first started it took 6 months after installing SME 7 to access it, it was a simple thing really, but it took a linux book for dummies to find the answer. When I set it up it asked for a password that was good, but after booting up it asked for log in, and it seems at the time root did not work on the first login. Surprise enter “admin”

Advice to login as admin is in the Manual, Chapter 6, first few lines
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter6

You are expected to read the Manual !

I have been working on the ftp server for over a year trying to get access, somewhere buried in the documentation I found that I was missing a contrib most probably “remote user access”, I don’t know why it was buried so far down in the documentation.

Well all I can say, is that time frame is ridiculous. Such things are really just a 5 minute job at most, say an hour all up if you want to go slow.
As mentioned above, ftp is already available in the base sme server "out of the box", it just needs enabling.
Same goes for ssh access (eg via Putty or some other ssh client), installed by default but not enabled, you need to enable it in server manager.
This security model is the sme default so that unwitting administrators do not put a server onto the Internet that may be wide open to attack by clever hackers, ie they are forced to enable external access & therefore will hopefully consider the security ramifications.

AFAIR the remoteuseraccess contrib does not give you additional access ability, it allows you to control access via a server manager GUI panel, eg which users have what access rights to which parts of sme server. Importantly it limits access to a certain folder on a per user basis ie "jails the user".

I ....still can’t access from the outside world but I’ll get that fixed.

You need to define what "access from the outside world" means.
Perhaps a service is not enabled appropriately in server manager or ports not forwarded from an external router, or some  ports not supported by your ISP, there are a myriad of reasons. Usually you start by looking at your setup & the log files. Whatever you do, do not wait another year to resolve that issue, it should be an hour or two at the most to resolve it, even 10  minutes if you are experienced/clever.

It’s just aggravating when small details that a experienced operator knows are assumed to be known by all.

You are capable of installing & using sme server, so some degree of technical skill & knowledge is assumed by just about everyone here, I'm sure no-one automatically thinks you are a dumbo or stupid etc. So you have the ability to ask, you have the ability to search Google & these forums. You are on a learning curve and seem to be blaming others for your lack of knowledge & skills. I would suggest you let go of that attitude where things "aggravate" you, and be more tolerant of the process & the advice given by others.

I do notice though that you skip over details, & skip over answers & clearly HAVE NOT read the Manual CAREFULLY.

And last, it would be nice if someone when back and removed or replaced out dated directions in contribs, or at least a line added “has been superceded by”

Well that would be nice, which means someone else is doing the work to satisfy your lesser skill set. The instructions were clear (to me), you just did not follow them correctly. Many people do contribute to create & correct wiki articles etc, but as all effort is volunteer then do not expect it to happen just because you think it should be that way.

You have the ability to edit documents & make them more understandable, just register for Wiki & Doc Team access (done in your personal Forum setup page under Group membership).
If something does not appear correct to you then fix it.
Otherwise lodge a bug report requesting the Doc Team do something to fix documentation.

I see the remoteaccess article has already been amended in response to your misinterpretation.
Please get involved rather than expecting others to do it for you.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.