Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Public and local network

Offline vranivran

• +0/-0
Public and local network
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
Hello!
I need to enable access some users to public network, but also, other users need to be on local network.
How can I do that?
Best regards!

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Public and local network
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »
please explain your problem, not your solution, thank you

Offline vranivran

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »
Some users need to use corporate mail from home(public network) and from company(local network).
Rest users must use mail only from company(local network).
How can I do that?
Best regards.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
vranivran

you should be a little bit more.. verbose

corporate mail = webmail? imap/pop3 access to SME server via a mail client?
is your server in server only mode or server and gateway?

please remember no one is able to see your monitor and to read your mind ;-)

Offline vranivran

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
Sorry for my English.  :-(
Some users need to use corporate mail from home(public network over imap/pop3 access to SME server via a mail client)
Rest users must use mail only from company(local network over imap/pop3 access).
Webmail is disabled.
How can I do that?
Best regards.

Offline vranivran

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »
SME is on server mode only

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
give vpn access to The users of your choice, ma then tell them How to configure mail client
be aware you could have problems if the remote ip addresses are the same of your office

Offline vranivran

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
I found this...

Disable mail to a user from an external network

Can be either a user, pseudonym or group

db accounts setprop groupname/username Visible internal
signal-event email-update

link http://wiki.contribs.org/Email#Disable_mail_to_a_user_from_an_external_network

Is this solution or I need to use VPN?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
no, this is not the solution..

Offline vranivran

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
what is different between "vpn" and "Disable mail to a user from an external network"
And...
my boss has blackbarry mobile.He wants also access from outside.
O man
Thank you very much!!!

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:53:59 AM »
vranivran

what is different between "vpn" and "Disable mail to a user from an external network"

Well they are totally different things and cannot really be compared.

VPN means virtual private network, and by establishing a VPN connection to your sme server you become effectively part of the LAN (local area network) and have access to services (eg mail) etc that only local users have.
In sme server manager Users panel, you can enable (ie allow) VPN access on a per user basis.

The method of "Disable mail to a user from an external network" uses the Visible db setting to prevent a local sme user from receiving mail from external senders ie their sme server email address (be it either a user, group or pseudonym), can only receive mail from other local sme server users.

VPN is an appropriate answer to your problem but requires a VPN connection be made before accessing mail. This adds complexity for remote users.
Most smartphones support VPN, and most/all smartphones support access to corporate or private email servers.
Earlier Blackberry phones required access to the Blackberry secure mail system, so you need to check the requirements/capabilities of that Blackberry model.
iPhones & similar modern smartphones work fine to access a sme mail server for sending & receiving mail.
Use IMAPS so that any changes are made to the server mail folders & messages will be seen by the user on whichever mail client they use, either locally or remote or mobile.

Another more practical answer is to enable remote access to the sme mail server (via SMTPS & IMAPS), and only tell those authorized/allowed users how to configure the mobile or remote device.

Please read this thread (you can search for many more similar answers too)
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,43957.msg210526.html#msg210526

PS You can always submit a bug report as NFR (New Feature Request) asking for external mail system access to be configured on a per user basis.
You could possibly/probably do this now if you are an expert who can develop the appropriate code & custom template fragments, but it would probably involve some effort & cost. If your business model really requires it, then offer to pay a sme developer to create the additional functionality, which can then be shared to all sme users.
Many existing sme functions have been developed in that very way.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:23:50 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
Some users need to use corporate mail from home(public network over imap/pop3 access to SME server via a mail client)
Rest users must use mail only from company(local network over imap/pop3 access).

Why? What harm is it if these users using mail from home?

If this is really important to you, I suggest you consider a non-technical solution. Tell these users they are not permitted to use the email system from home, and then check the logs and verify that they are doing what they have been told. Sanction them if they do not follow instructions.