Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[Solved] Post upgrade problem

Offline toothandnail

• +0/-0
Re: [Solved] Post upgrade problem
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought I should let people know that the problem is solved. Its a bug, but not an SME bug.

Went back on site this morning and tried several things without any change - any time I tried to send email, I got 'relaying denied'.

I then tried firing up Thunderbird on my laptop and let it autodetect settings. Which worked - once it was finished, there was no problem sending email. So the problem seems to be a Thunderbird one - even though all the settings were identical, the existing clients would still come up with the rellaying delayed error.

I then tried deleting existing profiles (after saving the address books). That didn't work (at least, not under Windows - Thunderbird didn't seem to be able to recreate profile information. So I had to uninstall Thunderbird and do a clean reinstall. At which point I was able to use its wizard to create new accounts, all of which worked. Problem solved, though it was a lot of work to fix....

A couple of observations, since they don't match the information in this link:

http://wiki.contribs.org/Email_-_Setting_up_E-mail_clients_for_SME_8.0

That link suggests that the fully qualified server name needs to be used, but the Thunderbird wizard set the server names as 'mail.xxxx.col.uk'. And the encryption is working. I should also note that the wizard setup used port 25 for the outgoing server.

Hope this helps someone else....

Paul.