Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

new to ldap

Offline hawk

• +0/-0
    • hawkelectronics
new to ldap
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »
HI
i am trying to setup LDAP for the first time, i would like to use it with thunderbird. I have read just about all i can find on ldap, but still can't get it working, i seem to have a problem with authentication. It seems to me that sme 8 has ldap set to readonly.
I found the below and wonder if this is the correct route to be taking.

Optional - LDAP authentication can be enabled. Once enabled it cannot be disabled, so experiment with care.
  To enable: db configuration setprop ldap Authentication enabled

Just a heads up from any one that might have ldap working with thunderbird and if there is a quick fix.

thanks
John

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: new to ldap
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:09:18 AM »
hawk

I do not use LDAP now but based on my readings & previous tests, your conclusions appear correct.

I suggest you enable LDAP on a sme8 test server, & play with it to see if it fits your requirements in the current stage of development (ie LDAP on sme8).

Once enabled there is no (easy) way to undo the changes on a production box.

The release notes for sme8 clearly say it is "Experimental".
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,48671.0.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:11:27 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
What do you intend to use LDAP for?

Are you trying to create a server-based list for your personal contacts , a shared (server-based) contact list, or do you just want an address book containing the local SME users?

Offline hawk

• +0/-0
    • hawkelectronics
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
hi thanks for the replies.

i am trying to setup a server based shared address book accessible by thunderbird.
the point is that each user has access to the address book, and can add to the address book.
a bonus if it could also be accessed from the internet but not critical, but like to prepare for future.

i have lightning running a thunderbird add on for the calender and works great for sharing, but the address book doesn't seem to work the same way, the calender i can just dump a file on the server then just point each user to it.

thunderbird serves all our email needs, even though i read that it will be dropped soon.

i have managed to connect thunderbird to ldap but it will not let me write any address's. i can read all the local users, but just can't add.

thanks
john

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 04:42:56 PM »
then you'd try SOGo