Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cannot access sharepoint site through Squid Proxy

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
Cannot access sharepoint site through Squid Proxy
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »
Hello,

I am currently receiving a 401 not authorized http error when trying to access a Sharepoint site over the internet.  The site is accessible w/o the proxy as I am greeted with the authentication box to type in a user/pass to enter the site.  I have tried authenticating first w/o the proxy enabled then trying it again with it enabled, no dice.  I also have white-listed the website, no dice.  I have tried 3 different browsers, no dice.  After further reading on the internet since there are plenty of hits on this subject type "sharepoint issue squid proxy" you'll see what I mean, It looks to me that there is no answer besides upgrading squid?  Has anybody ran into this issue before?

This is the error in the access.log

1346152775.787    763 192.168.1.198 TCP_MISS/401 362 GET http://cw.jcc-ri.com/bids/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx - DIRECT/173.163.37.5 text/html

Any help is appreciated.  8-)

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
Re: Cannot access sharepoint site through Squid Proxy
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »
I forgot to add that with the squid proxy enabled YOU DO NOT GET an authentication window to type in the username/password.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »
Have you tried setting up 'Bypass_Proxy'?
http://wiki.contribs.org/Firewall#Bypass_Proxy

If you control the Sharepoint site, could you configure it to use a secondary port (other than 80/443), so that access is not intercepted by the transparent proxy?

Have you tried creating a Proxy Pass domain or ibay that serves the sharepoint site (ProxyPass works with either internal or external servers)?
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:FAQ#Proxy_Pass

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »
FYI - I had no trouble accessing an outside sharepoint server from behind my SME 8.0 system with the squid transparent proxy enabled.

My SME 8 server reports:
# squid -v
Squid Cache: Version 2.6.STABLE21

And my SME 7.6 server reports:
# squid -v
Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE14

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
This is not my sharepoint site this is an outside contractor. 

My SME 7.5 reports:
[root@dixieprox ~]# squid -v
Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE14

Mary,

The sharepoint site you are accessing does it require authentication (user/pass)?

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
I can bypass the proxy but the issue is it does not work with sharepoint authentication when riding through Squid.   I need this to work without running around the issue, the issue is perhaps this version of squid -> sme server does not work with "sharepoint authentication".  If you have a sharepoint site set up please try it with authentication.  We have multiple outside contractors who use Sharepoint so I need a solution that resolves the underlying issue rather than each time having an employee bypass the proxy which is counterproductive if you know what I mean.  This issue here again can be found by googling "Squid Sharepoint Issue"  This is not a me only issue.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
Since the Release notes for squid 2.6 indicate "Authentication enhancements including Negotiate/Kerberos support, extra workarounds for NTLM clients and others using Microsoft Integrated Login", I think you may be out of luck with SME 7.x / squid 2.5.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:24:19 AM »
bhay3s

If the version of squid is the real issue here, then the simplest answer is to upgrade to sme8.0
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
Thanks Mary, I wasn't sure if I could upgrade from 7.6 -> 8? I see there are exclamations indicating if you have contribs installed then you guys prefer a fresh install? or does that still apply?  I will look into upgrading then.

Thx.  8-)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
bhay3s

......upgrade from 7.6 -> 8? I see there are exclamations indicating if you have contribs installed then you guys prefer a fresh install? or does that still apply?

No that's not quite right, no need for a fresh install.

Yoiu can do a CD upgrade, or a yum upgrade by following the yum upgrade instructions for setting new sme8 repos.

Before any upgrade, it is advisable to check if any contribs you have installed on sme 7.6 are compatible with sme8, most will be but a few need either tweaks or major rewrite of code. Refer to the sme8 wiki for links re which contribs have been tested.
The advice is to remove any incompatible contribs, and after the 7.6 to 8.0 upgrade is complete, you can then install the compatible contrib versions. Some new sme8 specific contribs have already been released.

Also you should remove or check any custom templates during the upgrade to ensure compatibility with sme8. You can temporarily move them and then move them back one by one after the upgrade (along with the applicable expand template & service restart commands), or recreate them based on the sme8 templates.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ghorst352

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
Good Enough.  Thx  8-)