Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

550 - relaying denied [SOLVED]

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
550 - relaying denied [SOLVED]
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
I can't send any e-mail (receiving works fine) - get the "550 - relaying denied message" - this from a SME 8.7beta server installed on a VM at a remote site.  I'm connecting via a VPN (Netscreen to Netscreen) to send and receive mail.

The weird thing is that my old (but still running) 7.5 server at the same location WILL relay messages (and has been for the last 5 years)

The old system is as follows:

Laptop - Netscreen firewall (home) - Internet - Netscreen Firewall (office)- SME 7.5 as only system installed on Dell Poweredge 350
                                                      <VPN>
The new system is:

Laptop - Netscreen firewall (home) - Internet - Netscreen Firewall (office)- SME 8.7 on VMWare ESX host on a Dell Poweredge SC1425
                                                      <VPN>

I first installed the SME 8, then restored a backup of our old server.

As far as I can tell, everything else is working fine - I can receive mail, the web sites are visible, I can FTP into the server via the VPN.  Server manager is accessible via the VPN. It just won't send mail.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:  I CAN send mails to other domains on the SME 8 server, but not to any external domains. 

Update:  I now find that I need to activate some sort of encryption in my mail client (Outlook).  Can someone help me with either implementing this encrption or disactivating this function on the server?

SOLVED:  Just in case anyone else struggles, here is the link: http://wiki.contribs.org/Email_-_Setting_up_E-mail_clients_for_SME_8.0
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:05:44 PM by dave simmons »

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
Re: 550 - relaying denied [SOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
This behavior is by design in SME 8, so that infected workstations will not be able to send spam through the SME gateway. It does make for a more complicated setup of the workstations and can be problematic after an upgrade.

If you are willing to accept this risk, you could just turn off this feature of SME 8:

config setprop qpsmtpd RelayRequiresAuth disabled
signal-event email-update

Discussed in Bugzilla:
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5575

Offline cb-wizzard

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:35:23 PM »
How do we disable SSL - have an application that does not allow for SSL connections?

Offline jameswilson

• +0/-0
    • Security Warehouse, trade security equipment
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 07:35:36 PM »

Offline Michail Pappas

• +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
If you are willing to accept this risk, you could just turn off this feature of SME 8:

config setprop qpsmtpd RelayRequiresAuth disabled
signal-event email-update
Supposing that the hosted domain is is xxxx.org, and the above mentioned commands are executed, what would happen if an outsider tries to use the sme box as a relay? That is, if the domain hosted on sme is smedomain.org and someone@foreigndomain.org from the internet tries to do send to anotherone@anotherforeigndomain.org using sme, will sme (open-)relay it?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline Michail Pappas

• +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
I see... Well, I'm certain that this information deserves a place in the wiki. Most entries are either about how to enable auth in the LAN, or how to configure clients after the transition to 8. This is about disabling auth in 8, I believe users will find it most useful.