Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Upgrade/restore problem?

Offline toothandnail

• +0/-0
Upgrade/restore problem?
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »
I've just had to upgrade the hard drives in an SME server machine being used as a stand-alone file server. I also took the opportunity to upgrade SME from 7.6 to 8.0.

The machine currently has around 360 GB of data (hence the need to upgrade the hard drives). Because of the size of the data set, I've split the backup into two parts - I do a system backup (using Synbak) which does not include the iBay data, and then back the iBay data up via an NFS mount to a NAS.

After replacing the two 500 GB drives with two 2TB drives (the machine has hardware RAID 1), I did a fresh install of SME 8. I then restored the system backup (its quite small, only around 250 MB in compressed form). I then installed the two contibs that I needed (smeserver-nfs and diskusage), ran updates and started the data restore (in this instance, I'd used rsync to back the data up to a USB hard drive - a lot faster than trying to restore over the network...).

All seems to have gone well, with one possible exception. I've found that, if I use server manager and attempt to modify one of the iBays, it returned an error. I've not yet been able to test user access to the iBays, so I'm a bit cautious about the whole operation.

So, the questions. What do I need to do to track the error being returned by Server Manager? Also, if Server Manager is hitting errors when trying to modify an iBay, is there anything I need to do to get the system to fully recognize the restored data?

While I've upgraded a few systems from SME 7.xx to 8.0, this is the first one I've done with the split backup, and I'm a bit concerned about the error from Server Manager.

Paul.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Upgrade/restore problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
you did many mistakes

1) you did a backup in a non standard way
2) you did a "custom" restore on a different version..

you should have do a restore on a SME7 and then upgrade to SME8..

anyway, you should take a look into log files (/var/log/messages and /var/log/httpd/*_error*) to find what's wrong..

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Upgrade/restore problem?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »
toothandnail

Honestly your question is like me asking, "I bought a tin of pink paint, but when I painted the wall with it, it turned green, can someone help me explain why & fix this"

You give no error message, you give no information about Synbak and what it is backing up  & restoring & so on. How are we expected to comment or advise.

As far as I know, that is an unsupported method of backing up and restoring.

You could /should have used the built in backup & restore system and did 2 backups with and without data, by excluding ibays  & so on (refer manual & backup Contrib articles & Howto), or you could have used the DAR2 contrib, which allows you to create a full backup and/or data only backups.
These are supported and we could advise you about  problems with them.

I would have used the Restore from Disk method. It's in the wiki Howtos.

Build the new server, mount one of the drives from the old server (ie as a third drive), and restore directly from that drive without needing to do a backup first. See the Howtos also.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.