Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

any success for zarafa on sme8

Offline frifri

• +0/-0
Re: any success for zarafa on sme8
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »
So, you used the other ports (8110 and 8995) in your e-mailclients/Outlook2007 ?
I don't think enabling POP3 in SERVER-MANAGER is needed.  In SERVER-MANAGER you need to enable IMAP and disable Webmail (Horde).

F.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
i used to have mapi but my sme went nuts last time and all emails are gone.

zarafa stores emails into a mysql db.. I'm sure it is part of a regular backup..

i wanna make sure this time that they retain there emails locally. i dnt i did not install the mapi clients as i intent to use the free version of the zarafa, side note all i need from zarafa is the z-push.

IMVHO you are using the wrong tool.. you don't need zarafa if you use pop3 instead of imap or you don't want the limitations of free version..

if you need a groupware, i.e. shared calendars and address book, you should use SOGo.. it uses standard services, mails are in standard maildir format.. and you can revert to a "plain" SME without loosing a bit..

Offline nefkho

• +0/-0
    • http://www.cagothonglines.com
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
thanks for the info, but as per my test i have tried imaps anf pop3s i still get the auth problem, all i need is for a few user to have their push to their smartphones any alternative?

would it be possible to have the smartphone used imap and their pc at work used pop with zarafa?

i lost all the data on my old unit that is why i have to install a fresh.   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:43:59 AM by nefkho »
Nef Kho  :-) .........

Offline frifri

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Nefkho,

What does next command says :

zarafa-admin --details [user]

Change [user] with a username you created (ex test)

Does it say that some features are disabled ?

F.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »
thanks for the info, but as per my test i have tried imaps anf pop3s i still get the auth problem, all i need is for a few user to have their push to their smartphones any alternative?

you should investigate more as I use (and I'm doing it since 8 years ago) my smartphone without any issue towards multiple imapS accounts on many SME.. and I have an imapS zarafa account too
if auth problems are related to self signed certificate (strange, I repeat, mine is working fine), there are many free solutions out there

would it be possible to have the smartphone used imap and their pc at work used pop with zarafa?

sure, but in that congurations each time your pc fetchs mails from server, you'll have no mails in imap (of we are talking about same accounts)

i lost all the data on my old unit that is why i have to install a fresh.   

seems you've lost your backup too, haven't you? :-)

anyway.. I was a big zarafa fan, really..
but it could be a real PITA.. mails are stored in a monolithic db, you cant extract a single email.. db dump during the pre-backup event is quite long (I have a 3.5 GB sql script) and during that time zarafa can't work properly because db tables are locked..
during Zarafa's development the devs have changed some file location.. and I'm not referrint to a major or a  medium release (say from 6.X to 7.X or 6.30.X to 6.40.Y) but from 6.30.X to 6.30.Y..

moving back emails from zarafa to standard imap is, again, a BIG PITA because of "custom" headers zarafa puts into email..

SOGo works quite well, is free, is supported, documented, uses only free and open source protocols.. I will never setup a Zarafa server anymore..

all IMVHO

Ciao

Offline nefkho

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
Stefano: thank you, i will look in the SOGo, do you have teh procedure to install it in SME8?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »
nefkho.. you've been a forum user for enough time to know that before asking/posting you should search the wiki and the forums :-)

read http://wiki.contribs.org/Sogo in first instance.. then search the forums.. ;-)

Offline nefkho

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
may bad... i got it. thanks,