Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Public DNS

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
Public DNS
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »
A search shows some discussion of this with much older versions of SME, but I don't see anything for 8 (or even 7.x)--how would I go about enabling/installing a public DNS server on an SME 8.0 server?  I have a couple of secondary domains I'd like to provide my own DNS service for.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Public DNS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »
if you mean to expose your SME dns on wan side, you'd better find another way.

SME  does not support such a feature

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »
Apart from Stefano's point hosting your own DNS is not very robust, it is bound for a single point of failure. Most off the times providers provide cheap packets for DNS management, in The Netherlands they are most off the times called 'park and link' services. Not sure if this is the proper English term though.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »
DanB35

What do you hope or expect to gain by this, especially when it's only for a couple of domains ?
It is not worth the effort for any perceived gain. Do you understand the complexities of doing this and getting it right ? Even SME gurus advise against this.
Domain/DNS hosting is very cheap nowadays ($9/yr), so why would you bother for a couple of subdomains.
If they are truly subdomains then DNS setup should already be covered by the existing main domain name and all you need to do is add the sub domains in your Registrants control panel and then add those subdomains to your SME box.

A search shows some discussion of this with much older versions of SME, but I don't see anything for 8 (or even 7.x)--how would I go about enabling/installing a public DNS server on an SME 8.0 server? 

Start with the old contribs and modify them if necessary. If you do not know how, then you should not be doing it !

You should elaborate on what you are really trying to achieve, there is probably an answer if we know what your real goal & motive is.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Knyte

• +0/-0
    • knyte.org
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:31:08 PM »
afraid.org is a great DNS service, and free.
SME 8.1 (currently restoring to SME 9.2) running in ESXi 5.5

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:25 AM »
I'm kind of surprised at the discouraging posts here.  I know SME doesn't support it out of the box, that's why I asked on the contribs forum rather than on the main forum.

The situation is that I registered x.com, x.net, x.us, and x.info.  The latter two (and really, the .net) are really registered just to keep someone else from registering them and being confusing.  Of course, if the names are registered, they might as well resolve, but I don't want to spend a lot (or any, really, if I can help it) of money on DNS hosting for these domains.  The free hosts I'd used in the past aren't free any more, so I though it was something I might pursue on the SME server.

Thanks for the afraid.org suggestion--I'll have to check it out.

Offline Knyte

• +0/-0
    • knyte.org
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:48 AM »
I'm kind of surprised at the discouraging posts here.  I know SME doesn't support it out of the box, that's why I asked on the contribs forum rather than on the main forum.

I think what you might be looking for is a CentOS/SME version of BIND.  Not sure if there's a contrib, and I doubt most ppl here would want that (I don't!).

The situation is that I registered x.com, x.net, x.us, and x.info.  The latter two (and really, the .net) are really registered just to keep someone else from registering them and being confusing.  Of course, if the names are registered, they might as well resolve, but I don't want to spend a lot (or any, really, if I can help it) of money on DNS hosting for these domains.  The free hosts I'd used in the past aren't free any more, so I though it was something I might pursue on the SME server.

OK that makes more sense.  Most domain registrars allow you to 'park' a domain, too.  In your situation I'd just use the registrar's DNS to point x.net x.us and x.info --> x.com.  Only one record per domain, and if for some reason the IP for x.com changes, you will only have to update ONE record (x.com) and the rest will still fwd OK.

And yeah...afraid.org is completely free (but they like donations!).
SME 8.1 (currently restoring to SME 9.2) running in ESXi 5.5

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 04:03:25 AM »
DanB35

The situation is that I registered x.com, x.net, x.us, and x.info..... they might as well resolve, but I don't want to spend....money on DNS hosting for these domains.

I would be registering with (or transferring online immediately to) someone who provides Nameserver & DNS hosting included with the domain name registration. I'm aware of some expensive "big name" Registrants charging $100 per domain for the domain name only, you have to pay extra for Nameserver & DNS hosting, whereas other "low end" registrants give you everything for $10 with a nice little web panel to configure it all.
Shop around.

Thanks for the afraid.org suggestion--I'll have to check it out.
[/quote]
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.