Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Sme7admin reports 100% CPU Usage

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
Sme7admin reports 100% CPU Usage
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:45:22 AM »
Normally Sme7admin reports my CPU usage to be around 3 - 10%, sometimes I get a big spike in CPU usage on some occasions like reconfiguring and rebooting the system.
But for a period of two days last month I was getting constant emails from Sme7admin that my CPU usage is 100%

As mysteriously as the event started, after those two days, it stopped and my CPU usage is back to normal 3 - 10% usage.

How can I find out what happened during those two days?  I think I should be looking at the log files, but where do I start?  There are so many different log files, so where to start looking?

thanks

ps. the server is used as a web server, it has no LAN connections.
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Sme7admin reports 100% CPU Usage
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
Normally Sme7admin reports my CPU usage to be around 3 - 10%, sometimes I get a big spike in CPU usage on some occasions like reconfiguring and rebooting the system.
But for a period of two days last month I was getting constant emails from Sme7admin that my CPU usage is 100%

As mysteriously as the event started, after those two days, it stopped and my CPU usage is back to normal 3 - 10% usage.

How can I find out what happened during those two days?  I think I should be looking at the log files, but where do I start?  There are so many different log files, so where to start looking?

thanks

ps. the server is used as a web server, it has no LAN connections.
I doubt you will be able to find a conclusive answer but you might check /var/log/messages for clues and perhaps also see if your web or mailserver where particularly busy at that time by reviewing their logs.

The best way to find out what is using your CPU at such a moment is to use top at the moment that it occurs as there is not a program that is logging the processes and their used resources to review afterwards on SME Server by default.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)