Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mass Add Users?

Offline wbell

• +0/-0
Mass Add Users?
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:00:49 PM »
I need to mass add about 600 users to a fresh install of SME Server v8.0.
Attempting to use the Lazy Admin Tools (both v0.9 and v1.0) result in WARNINGS in the 'messages' log file.
What is the recommended method for mass adding users in SME Server v8.0+?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Mass Add Users?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »
wbell

There does appear to be some issues/problems with that contrib.
search bugzilla on
e-smith-lazy_admin_tools
and
smeserver-lazy_admin_tools

If no one is maintaining it then you may have to modify the scripts yourself.
I see in one of the bug reports another school offered to fund development of that contrib, so maybe you can pool your money together & tempt someone to fix the contrib.

Otherwise write your own scripts based on what server manager does when adding users.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline wbell

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
There does appear to be some issues/problems with that contrib.
search bugzilla on
e-smith-lazy_admin_tools
and
smeserver-lazy_admin_tools

As you may be aware (you've commented on my other posts), I have searched bugzilla.  I have even submitted some bug reports myself.

If no one is maintaining it then you may have to modify the scripts yourself.

Yes; I have been doing quite a bit of testing and modifying, since it is not officially maintained.

I see in one of the bug reports another school offered to fund development of that contrib, so maybe you can pool your money together & tempt someone to fix the contrib.

Very true.  This is a great idea, but other than my comment, that bug has been dormant since "2011-09-25 05:59:57 MDT".

Otherwise write your own scripts based on what server manager does when adding users.

I would love to work on this, however there is very little documentation regarding how user accounts are created.
I managed to find the following documentation, but it is minimal and doesn't explain much.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/smeserver/contribs/gordonr/devguide/html/x1954.htm

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
wbell

I would love to work on this, however there is very little documentation regarding how user accounts are created.
I managed to find the following documentation, but it is minimal and doesn't explain much.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/smeserver/contribs/gordonr/devguide/html/x1954.htm

Well as suggested earlier, add a user in server manager and look at the resultant output in the messages log file. Quite a lot happens, much more than just the db command to add the actual user to the accounts database. You have to "translate" the way it is written in the log file, into actual commands, but it should be easy enough to figure out. You have the starting point in that doco.
Also search forums on creating users, and on user-create & so on, a good few posts have been made over the years on the same topic, and I see some old versions of scripts there too.

In essence though, all this should have been sorted out & forms part of the LAT script(s).

I see you made a find & fixed something in one of the scripts, so that is probably the best way to go, ie fix the broken part.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.