Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

DYN DNS

Offline hawk

• +0/-0
    • hawkelectronics
DYN DNS
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
HI

i was just wondering if anyone has been successfull with using SME to run their own DYN DNS service.
I know there are plenty of free/paid services available, and i use some of them. My concern is that if these free services decided to charge, it might be an idea to look into creating my own service for my clients

thanks
John

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Re: DYN DNS
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:46:13 AM »
I use dynamic dns since my first SME server (5.x) ... had used ZoneEdit ( 2 domains free ) for yeears without any problem.
I had one domain on dyndns (payed) and they're fine.

I allways use ddclient rpm on server or internal feature of ADSL modem to update my records with my external IP and have no problem for years.

I'm not sure what would you get better by start over a service already stable and available for free.
My 2 cents is: if you have spare time, use it to help SME8 get Final... and trust on Dynamic DNS services available for free. If one of them decide to charge, just replace it for other free one... you can do it in a couple of hours!

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:51:37 AM »
Looks like DynDNS no longer provide you the one free host - you have to pay, thus they are no longer free.

Existing free accounts still seem to be working....

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »
axessit

The free "model" has changed significantly.
For new users they require you to subscribe to dyndns pro (with a credit card) but allow you to keep one hostname for free if you cancel within 14 days.
See http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro-free-trial/

Existing users with multiple free hostnames (up to 5 were allowed previously I think) were allowed to keep one hostname for free, the others were automatically deleted, users were given ample time to delete hostnames or subscribe to dyndns pro service if they wanted to retain the multiple hostnames (this change happened many months ago).
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline hawk

• +0/-0
    • hawkelectronics
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:48:51 AM »
Update (if any one is interested)

Ok i have bitten the bullet and purchased a Pro account from DynDns, i looked at several of the other free services, but my reasoning to go back to DynDns is mainlly based on the fact that nearly all of the routers i use to update the Dynamic service have fixed accounts listed and all of them have DynDns.

thanks

Offline AusMounty

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 12:24:18 AM »
I personally use FreeDNS (http://freedns.afraid.org), registration is straight forward and I have a small shell script which resides in the /etc/cron.daily so every 24 hours updates the ip pointer. Very easy to use and if you wish I can assist you in configuring it for your particular environment.