Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Dar2 writing to Windows 7 Home Premium share

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
Dar2 writing to Windows 7 Home Premium share
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:14:37 AM »
I am trying to use Dar2 to backup to a Windows 7 HP share (\\machinename\SME_Backup).  I can't get the SME machine to see the Win7 share.

Using smbclient:
-bash-3.00$ smbclient -L machinename
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[USA] OS=[Windows 7 Home Premium 7601 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows 7 H
ome Premium 6.1]

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
cli_rpc_pipe_open: cli_nt_create failed on pipe \srvsvc to machine machinename. 
Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[USA] OS=[Windows 7 Home Premium 7601 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows 7 H
ome Premium 6.1]

Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

I have done the regedit to lower the NTLM level:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
     Name: LmCompatibilityLevel
     Value: 1

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

yelnic

Offline piran

• +0/-0
Re: Dar2 writing to Windows 7 Home Premium share
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
I am trying to use Dar2 to backup to a Windows 7 HP share
What am I missing here?

Likely: A common user account on the w7 box and the SME box.

Helpful: http://wiki.contribs.org/SSH_Public-Private_Keys

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
Helpful: http://wiki.contribs.org/SSH_Public-Private_Keys
No, that is totally irrelevant to OP's question, that has to do with shell access to the SME Server.

OP seems to be unable to access a shared folder on his Windows 7 Home premium system from SME Server. IMHO this is might be due to the fact that Windows 7 Home Premium might not support features like network shares (they seem to differentiate between home and office use), or perhaps a firewall being enabled without the proper exceptions.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »
A few basics, you haven't said whether these have been set. You need to make sure the windows 7 machine network settings are either "home" or "work" network location, and file sharing is enabled. The workgroup name also needs to be the same as the SME workgroup.

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »
A few basics, you haven't said whether these have been set. You need to make sure the windows 7 machine network settings are either "home" or "work" network location, and file sharing is enabled. The workgroup name also needs to be the same as the SME workgroup.

I did set it up as a "work" location, enabled file sharing and put it in the correct workgroup and still nothing worked at that time.

I am somewhat happy to report that it suddenly started working without further intervention on my part.  It worries me when I don't know why something wasn't working, let alone when it starts, seemingly on it's own.  The only thing that I know has happened was a power-cycling of the ethernet switches.  Being three hours away from the site, I don't know if there was some cable-switching happening in the middle of this mess that might have confused the switches.

The main thing is that it is working the way it should have from the beginning.

Thanks to all for your help.

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
You need to set up the Win 7 machine as a file server - have just found this out. Win 7 drops network connections that were previously OK unless they were another win 7 machine. Hates Samba servers (which is how it sees SME).

http://www.cnetsys.com/using_windows_7_as_a_fileserver has the solution.

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:02:08 AM »
You need to set up the Win 7 machine as a file server - have just found this out. [...]

Thanks!  I'll check the settings.