Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Issues sending PDFs on Felamimail

Offline seicosid

• +0/-0
Issues sending PDFs on Felamimail
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
Hi,

I've recently installed eGroupware on my SME 7.5.1. Everything is working fine, just one problem.

I have an issue where I can't send certain size PDFs, using Felamimail (webmail). I think I figured that I can't send PDFs that's larger than 2.5MB. Also, this appears to be an issue with PDFs only. Word, Excel, etc all send fine.

I tried it through an email client and it looks like it doesn't matter how large the attachments are then.

I'm hoping someone out there might be able to shed some light on this one.

Thanks in advance
Jéan

Offline Frank VB

• +0/-0
Re: Issues sending PDFs on Felamimail
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
I have an issue where I can't send certain size PDFs, using Felamimail (webmail). I think I figured that I can't send PDFs that's larger than 2.5MB.
Be aware that there's a limit to the filesize that can be uploaded through felamimail. This limit is set in the /etc/php.ini file (assuming that your using SME's default PHP4 installation). What is the value of the upload_maxfile_size parameter in this file? If you're using PHP5 you'll have to look at the post_max_size in the /etc/php5/php.ini file IIRC.

I tried it through an email client and it looks like it doesn't matter how large the attachments are then.
It is possible that you can successfully send an attachment through an email client (such as Outlook) because the PHP parameter mentioned above doesn't apply in that case. There's however a qmail parameter that controls the email/attachment size for both webmail and email clients: the MaxMessageSize. To learn what the current value for this parameter is, log in on the console of your SME and issue the following command:

Code: [Select]
config show qmail

For example MaxMessageSize=8000000 means you can send a message (attachments included) of app. 8 MB.

If you want to send attachments of say 4MB using a webmail client you should make sure that both parameters are set to a value of at least 4MB, i.e. upload_max_file_size=4MB (again assuming you're using PHP4) and MaxMessageSize=4000000.