Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Name of Workgroup

Offline haliparotin

• +0/-0
Name of Workgroup
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
hi! i Just want to ask how many Character i can put on my workgroup name? under Control Panel> Configuration> Workgroup> Windows workgroup.. THANK YOU... :?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Name of Workgroup
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
please explain your problem, not your solution, thank you

Offline haliparotin

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »
Sorry for that.. I set a Windows Workgroup name "DAADGROUP" (SME Server) then i set this as my DOMAIN.. then i Connect my Windows XP  to my Domain (SME Server).. then  they have a appear an error "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DAADGROUP"... then i try to change the Windows Workgroup name to "DAAD" (SME Server) then i try to connect again my Win XP to my Domain then successful join..  :( they have a way can Set my Domain Name to DAADGROUP? THANK YOU...

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
AFAIK the max size is 12/15 chars.. so the problem must be something else

Offline haliparotin

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
why im not connect to workgroup name DAADGROUP if the character is 12 to 15? any idea Sir?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »
haliparotin

Change your workgroup name from DAAD to workgroup (or any other different name).
Then restart your PC and select to use Windows DOMAIN & enter the name DAADGROUP
Then restart and see if other PCs can join the Windows DOMAIN.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline haliparotin

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:50 AM »
Actually Mary.. only the problem to my Windows is cannot find my Domain (SME Server) if i use DAADGROUP, and if i change my Domain (SME Server) to DAAD all my windows can join to the domain.. thats why i ask there have a limit to the Character on SME Server for set Windows Workgroup.. THANK YOU..  :-(  :-(

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 03:12:36 AM »
haliparotin

Well there can be problems with Windows PC's when you change the network setting from a Workgroup to a DOMAIN. AFAIK you should start with a workgroup name that is different to the desired DOMAIN name. That's why I suggested what I did. (This is on the workstations).

Also after setting your DOMAIN name in SME server, you should also restart the server and restart all workstations.

Also have you enabled SME to be a PDC (DOMAIN controller for you whole network) ?

Offline haliparotin

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:55 AM »
Ok... Thank you for quick response.. by the way if i have a Windows 2008 Server Foundation and i like to connect to domain (SME Server), what configuration i can need? because i try to connect to my SME Server it didn't work.. THANK YOU..

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:47 AM »
haliparotin

You can only have one domain controller. Most modern/advanced Windows domain features are not supported by SME (eg Active Directory), because SME is acting as a basic NT style domain controller.
See
http://wiki.contribs.org/Advanced_Samba

I do not use Windows 2008 Server Foundation so cannot advise further.

You need to be more specific ie provide steps you follow to join the SME domain and quote exact error messages etc, rather than saying "it didn't work".

Offline haliparotin

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
actually this the error "An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "Domain_Name" could not be contacted." this error is from Windows 2008 Server Foundation to connect to my SME Server (Domain Controller). But i can ping my SME Server..THANK YOU..

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
haliparotin

actually this the error "An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "Domain_Name" could not be contacted." this error is from Windows 2008 Server Foundation to connect to my SME Server (Domain Controller). But i can ping my SME Server..THANK YOU..

SME Server is not an Active Directory Domain Controller, it is only a NT style domain controller. Please read up on the very significant differences.

Offline haliparotin

• +0/-0
[SOLVED] Name of Workgroup
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 04:15:39 AM »
OK Thank you for help and support.. My SME Server (PDC) and my Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (Database) are now Connected each other.. by follow instruction from this link http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7... THANK You very much...