Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Two SME Servers, one central login

Offline brick

• +0/-0
Two SME Servers, one central login
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:45:32 AM »
Hi,
I'm having to divide the functions on my SME using another server, so I'll have two servers and I want to use the same credentials for both.
Is this possible?
I have migrated my initial server to SME8 beta 6 (Using Affa) and installed the second server with SME8 also.
Right now it's working, but if someone changes the password on one of them, it has to manually do it on the other.

Please advise,

Thanks,

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Two SME Servers, one central login
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:07 AM »
No, this is not possible. But some work has been done towards this, see http://wiki.contribs.org/Advanced_Samba
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
A thought.
Could server1 access a shared device(redirection) on server2.
Then sever1 share that redirection.
From what I understand, everything in Linux is a file. So you might would think this is possible to do for some applications and not meaning all applications.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »
Is it possible to do what you are doing from a php web script by keeping up with the passwords on a single server in an encrypted file, then some how running the script to make the changes on any other servers and also keep the password for verification for future user password change request.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:38:31 PM by purvis »

Offline brick

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »
A thought.
Could server1 access a shared device(redirection) on server2.
Then sever1 share that redirection.
From what I understand, everything in Linux is a file. So you might would think this is possible to do for some applications and not meaning all applications.

I'm afraid this won't help me, as the reason I'm having issues are related to bottlenecks from reading the HD and the network. In this particular case I only have a few users, but they use all my resources on the server by writing and reading the files constantly. The network has been upgraded to GB and the disks are SAS 15k. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the redirection still passes all the the traffic through the first server.

Thanks,

Offline brick

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
Is it possible to do what you are doing from a php web script by keeping up with the passwords on a single server in an encrypted file, then some how running the script to make the changes on any other servers and also keep the password for verification for future user password change request.
I did install the LDAP contrib, and I think this stops the server from reading from /etc/passwd right?

Thanks,

Offline tomsmsp

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:47:26 AM »
My question/solution is along this line too so I'll post here.  I want the something similar however I am using one external smeserver in a dmz-subnet-domain called mycompany.com and my admin internal server on another subnet called mycompany.net.  The second being for the company and dev work the .com public facing with customer sites.

My question is I thought this way up after I installed internal server as .local.  Do I have to reinstall or can I just make the changes in the names hostnames + domain add/change.  That is where I'm stuck.  I could use the server-mgr to do this right?  No hand editing the config files?  Need things kept clean. Good to know for future customer reference too.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 07:11:15 AM »
tomsmsp

run configure this server and change the main domain name there
save & reboot at the end

all other settings & data will remain intact

please don't hijack threads
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
brick

As you have been told, SME does not support what you want (at present).
Some work towards that sort of feature has been done with samba & LDAP, but as far as I understand, they are both partial beta implementations and still need a lot of work to finish.

The feature ("pseudo" centralised login) has been requested many times before.
If you search (devinfo lists, bugzilla & forums) then somewhere in there was a post by Charlie Brady a few years back that explained there were many different files in SME that each had some pieces of information that would be needed to be transferred to other SME servers (for duplication etc).

It would require a significant amount of development work & skills from someone who has a very good working knowledge of SME server, plus testing the external interfaces etc.
It's Linux so theoretically anything can be done (coding wise), so such a feature in theory is possible, but considerable effort will be needed to implement it.

If you contacted Charlie directly and proposed to fund the development work required for such a feature, then the end result will or may (subject to do-ability) give you what you want, as well as being a great gift back to the community for all others to avail of.
Many good features in SME have come about because of direct corporate sponsorship for specific requirements.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.