Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Is SME 8 Final Ready for HDD larger than 2 TB ?

Offline beckynet

• +0/-0
    • http://www.beckynet.be
Is SME 8 Final Ready for HDD larger than 2 TB ?
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
Hi all,

I read that to run a hard drive larger than 2 TB, it was necessary to install a 64-bit system.

To handle more than 4GB of memory a 64 bit system is needed.

The development of SME8 began in 2008. The computer world is changing ever faster.

I use EMS since version 4.12. The updates from the backup have always gone well from one version to another.

Would not it time to cut ties with the i386 version, thinking about the future and turn to an x64 version?

The latest version of ClearOS is already x64, Zentyal offers the i386 and x64 version.

Beckynet
----------------------------------------------------
Beeckmans Olivier
Belgian Army ICT Technician
I discovered E-Smith with version 4.12

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
Re: Is SME 8 Final Ready for HDD larger than 2 TB ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
Most people in france are very shy, because their computer are very older and they can not play with sme8
however i think we need to comes out the sme8 before  looking toward a sme9 's feature.

I think that sme8 stable is needed soon ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:53:51 PM by stephdl »
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
I am not sure about HDD, but SME8 will be able to access memory larger than 4GIG. I have learned about this from CharlieBrady from his reply to my post:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,47606.0.html

As far as 64 bit version, I remember reading on the forums here that someone was working on a 64bit version of SME for another company, and they posted their development ISO here.
But I just searched, and I can't find it. So I don't know what happened to it, but I remember reading about it.
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite

Offline beckynet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:10 PM »
I am not sure about HDD, but SME8 will be able to access memory larger than 4GIG

Yes, if kernel provided with SME 8, is compiled with PAE support it's a solution. http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#head-d70935212ce3b7b072b0075c1807a4bd3ea175b7

however i think we need to comes out the sme8 before  looking toward a sme9 's feature.

4 years of development for version 8.
Version SME 9 ! Humm for 2020 if all goes well ;-)

I hope there are still compatible computer on the second hand market.

The perfect system does not exist.
I remain convinced that shortly after the final release of SME 8.
Many Bug will be revealed by new users. Just because more stations will run in a real environment with the new system.
This has already happened with version 5, 6 and 7.
RC1 version, would already welcome. Because it would put an end to major change, like what happened with samba and samba3.
And especially that developers can address the contribs that without them, SME is a bit poor.

I know that SME is free and that there is no deadline. But my motivation to make annual donations decreases.
Almost a year since the last beta. The project seems to stagnate.

Beckynet
Beeckmans Olivier

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:20:19 AM »
Yes it's right that the future sme9 will go out around 20 years, maybe it will never appen.

You are free to help, free to participate to bugzilla, free to read the devinfo's mailling list, and free to give some money.

In france we say

"a software is free, when it is paid (F.Elie)"

5 or 10 $ by month it is realizable and it's a french "aveyronnais" who say that ;)

You can try some other linux-server if you can't wait this new version, with zentyal or clear-Os, you have a society with this project, and may be a best (Not-free of charge) reactivity.

But i prefer community project like debian or sme-server.

Try to help the community with all that  you can do ;)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:32:09 AM by stephdl »
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
I read that to run a hard drive larger than 2 TB, it was necessary to install a 64-bit system.

Where did you read that? Hard to debunk if we don't know exactly what was said.

As to your question, if you have a HDD larger than 2TB, then install sme8 beta on it, and tell us via the bug tracker if you find any problems. I don't have a HDD larger than 2TB, so I can't do that testing for you. But you shouldn't be depending on me to do it for you anyway.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
Where did you read that? Hard to debunk if we don't know exactly what was said.

As to your question, if you have a HDD larger than 2TB, then install sme8 beta on it, and tell us via the bug tracker if you find any problems. I don't have a HDD larger than 2TB, so I can't do that testing for you. But you shouldn't be depending on me to do it for you anyway.

I'm using SME 7.5.1 on a 4 1.5 TB disks raid5 (no hotspare) with no issue at all

Offline beckynet

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »
I'm using SME 7.5.1 on a 4 1.5 TB disks raid5 (no hotspare) with no issue at all

It's a really good news !

I've a PERC 5 controller with 4 x 250 GB (683GB).
After several years of sorting out what is needed and what is not. I've not consider replacing the discs with 4 X 1TB, fear that the system can not boot.

I still have try Out Of The Box Distribution as Zentyal or ClearOS, I've also try Ubuntu/Debian but there are too much work to configure all service that I need.

I prefer SME, that has always responded to my needs.

One year ago, I've installed an SME Beta 5 in production near a friend's (Due to many hardware incompatibility with SME 7, Dell T110), and a month later samba changed in a major way.
Given the risk of having to reconfigure a lot of workstations, the server is still in beta 5 almost a year now, with no problem.

Daily use is the best way to discover new bugs...

I could install an SME 8 beta in production at home, but I would really like to do so only when it becomes available in RC. Some contribs aren't yet ready : Asterisk, Zabbix, ...

beckynet
Beeckmans Olivier

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »
I could install an SME 8 beta in production at home, but I would really like to do so only when it becomes available in RC.

If you do not test until RC is available, then all you are doing is making it more likely that there will be excess RC versions (because we do not find the bugs during beta testing). We do really only want one RC - it's meant to be a "release candidate", not a beta test version.