Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

email failover

Offline kryptos

• +0/-0
email failover
« on: May 20, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »
Hi all,

Is email failover can be achieve using smeserver. We currently running smeserver as our email here at the office and just recently we have experienced trouble with our ISP. Then we came to think what if we have to ISP and our smeserver will just fail-over to the second ISP when the first one fails. Our goal is to have uninterrupted email service Has anyone able to achieve this?

Regards,
Rocel

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: email failover
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »
Setup a second SME server on another connection, and configure it to use the original SME as the internal mail server

I remember a post (or wiki article?) long ago about a method for configuring spamassassin to share "learned" ham and spam between two computers, so you get the same level of spam filter effectiveness on both servers, but I can't find it now.

I describe a configuration with two SME servers acting as spam filters for a single internal Exchange box in this thread, using port forwards from the primary SME and proxypass from the second: http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,40075.msg210543.html#msg210543.  You may need to use proxypass to get webmail working through the backup sme (proxypass effectively "re-sources" the data packets from the second SME, counteracting the first SME's gateway setting which otherwise prevents web access through the second server).

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
I also have two clients using "dual wan" routers, one using a "Xincom" box, and one using this Netgear box.

For both, the SME server becomes an "Internal" server.

Offline kryptos

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:46:50 AM »
Setup a second SME server on another connection, and configure it to use the original SME as the internal mail server

I remember a post (or wiki article?) long ago about a method for configuring spamassassin to share "learned" ham and spam between two computers, so you get the same level of spam filter effectiveness on both servers, but I can't find it now.

I describe a configuration with two SME servers acting as spam filters for a single internal Exchange box in this thread, using port forwards from the primary SME and proxypass from the second: http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,40075.msg210543.html#msg210543.  You may need to use proxypass to get webmail working through the backup sme (proxypass effectively "re-sources" the data packets from the second SME, counteracting the first SME's gateway setting which otherwise prevents web access through the second server).

Thanks Mmccarn. I look into this