Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 8 Status

Offline sektor

• +0/-0
SME Server 8 Status
« on: December 23, 2010, 03:31:42 AM »
Is there an official release date or a status update?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: SME Server 8 Status
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44:04 AM »
sektor

Is there an official release date or a status update?

No, there is never an official release date known in advance. It happens when it happens as the "development system" runs on volunteer effort, which is rather limited at present.
Click on the wiki link at top of forum and then see the link for sme 8 wiki page for further info.

Please contribute your time to test sme8, ie test & verify bugs and make sure you submit reports on what you do.
Even verifying & testing 2 or 3 bugs will help.
If you want you can also contact the developers and offer to financially sponsor some work which will assist towards getting sme 8 further developed.

Using sme 8 beta6 is reasonably safe, just keep in mind that as the software is still in beta, changes do & can occur and occassionally some workaround may need to be implemented when a new beta is released that causes problems. It's rare, but it does happen.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline sektor

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
I appreciate the response and understand completely I am currently in the process of putting 8 beta 6 in production at home as a gateway/server so far so good and I love the ease of configuration, are there cvs updates available for when changes are made?  I will help anyway I can and offer suggestions when I can.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 05:51:14 PM »
I appreciate the response and understand completely I am currently in the process of putting 8 beta 6 in production at home as a gateway/server so far so good and I love the ease of configuration, are there cvs updates available for when changes are made?
No, but the updates do get build and pushed to the mirrors in testing repositories.

I will help anyway I can and offer suggestions when I can.
Yes, see the matrix of bugs in a resolved state and start verifying them. Once they are properly verified they can be released. It will also be a great way to learn the internals of SME Server. Have a look at some bugs that are already verified to see how we are doing this. If you do need help on how to verify a certain bug you are free to ask in that bug. We will gladly try and explain what needs to be tested.

For other ways of supporting SME Server have a look at http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Volunteering
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline sektor

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 05:54:58 PM »
Understood thank you and you all have a happy and safe holiday.