Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 8.X as KVM Hypervisor Host?

Offline alzhy

• +0/-0
SME Server 8.X as KVM Hypervisor Host?
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »
Wanted to edit my previous post's heading to change the subject but I don't know or can't seem to. So this is esentially a re-post.

Planning to build a Nehalem(core i7-870) or a Thuban (AMD Phenom X6) system with oodles of memory and fast(er)/RAIDed disks. Since SME server is based on more current upstream releases of CentOS/RHEL -- can it effectively serve as KVM (kernel virtual machine) hypervisor host?

With vMware Server 1.x and 2.X being EOL'd in January 2011 and workarounds becoming sparse and dificult, I am looking at using KVM instead.

Are there KVM/libvirt bits on the repositories? Or would there be no issues applying the CentOS bits?

TIA!

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: SME Server 8.X as KVM Hypervisor Host?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
my 2€c: use proxmox or vmware esxi and use SME as guest

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:47:37 PM »
Or simply build a plain CentOS as host (with KVM/libvirt), and SME as a guest (this is what I do on several installs, it works great).

Regards
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »
Wanted to edit my previous post's heading to change the subject but I don't know or can't seem to. So this is esentially a re-post.
Next time please don't, you could have easily filed an adjustment by adding another post explaining your issue, creating two threads is only adding to the confusion.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)