Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hardware Requirements SME8

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
Hardware Requirements SME8
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
I'm planning to build a new server and start using SM8, but I can't find any (minimum) hardware requirements for SME8.
Are they available already?
I want to try to build a server that is as 'green' as possible, and 'm thinking about using a Intel Core i3-540 3.06GHz processor. Has anyone experience with building an energy-saving server?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Hardware Requirements SME8
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:23:22 AM »
EdelingF

Please learn to use this site.
Click the Wiki link at top of forum, then at the top right of the main page you see links to SME 8 ie the "Wiki" link takes you to a page all about SME8xxx
and this
SME Server 8.0beta6 is based on CentOS 5.5.

So look for hardware that is compatible with CentOS 5.5
Google for HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) and visit Centos site.

A search of these forums on compatibility (and similar) will also find a few answers.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
Seen all that, but nothing like there is availabe for the SM7 (http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter4)

I was just wondering if there were people with experiences about building SME servers which are not as energy slurping like the one I'm currently using (old P3 workstation) as a file/webserver. I'm just trying to find the balance between "green" and performance.
I'm now thinking about the Intel Core i3 530 on a MSI H55M-E33 or something similar, with 3 of 4 Gb internal and 2 WD Green 1Tb disks.

Anyone?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »
if you are using an old P3, every kind of cpu you'll choose will be faster.. and greener.. :-)

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »
if you are using an old P3, every kind of cpu you'll choose will be faster.. and greener.. :-)

Yes, thats what I thought also. Just looking for the best buy in relation to performance and energy use. Don't want to find out later on that if someone is looking at one website on the server, the other sites aren't available due to technical limitations......

Offline larieu

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »
I think it will be more constructive to have also one thread about what hardware worked flawless and what has bugs

for example
My mainboard
description:    Motherboard
product:    S7012
vendor:    TYAN

with 1 CPU
description:    CPU
product:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5506 @ 2.13GHz

RAID
description:    RAID bus controller
product:    9690SA SAS/SATA-II RAID PCIe
vendor:    3ware Inc

with 8G RAM
installed flawless on SME 8 beta 4

and I remember that one Intel (Tm) D956 had some problems with clock on 7.4  - clock get crazy (something like in each hour computer speed with 3 hour)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:14:26 AM by larieu »
if everybody's life around you is better, probably yours will be better
just try to improve their life

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »
I think it will be more constructive to have also one thread about what hardware worked flawless and what has bugs
I think the wiki would be better, tens of pages of posts do not generate a very clear overview, where the wiki is more suited for documenting stuff in a clear way.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:58:52 AM »
How deep are your pockets.
Do you want more than one server that are the same.
Enterprise sata drives. Fast memory. At least a dual core processor around 2.7 or higher.
Great 1gig network cards.

Offline mmaas70

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:49:40 PM »
Why such a powerfull processor if you are only using the server for home fileserver/webserver tasks? Unless you are serving a busy website, i would scrap the dual core and look for a real green option... 
After using old defunkt desktops for my SME homeserver/webserver (aaarrggh - the noise!), i decided last year to invest in an small Asus EEE Box atom-based nettop.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15234

Specs are minimal. i just added extra mem and upgraded the harddrive to 500G. But it works a lot better (faster) than my old P3 box. Only problem: Intel chipset for the nic is not supported in SME7, but works out-of-the-box in SME8.

These machines fail as desktop systems for their lack of video playbackpower, but are great as lowpower sme-boxes. Powerconsumption is 20W on average, but could be lower, depending on use. I use it as a file/web/mail/backupserver, and it's been running for a year now.

Oh, and it's sooo quiet...

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
Raid 1 should be a must for me.
If you are going to have a one machine. It might as well
run with stability.

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »
I've thought about an atom-based server but I'm afraid it will not be enought for hosting 6 domains with websites. They're not that busy (yet), but you''ll never know. Better be prepaired.

I also thought about using a NAS, but I was advised not to do this.

Raid 1 is also a must for me.

Offline alzhy

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
If CentOS or RHEL works are are certified on a platform (built up or mobo/cpu combo) -- SME Server 8 should work.

Suggestions for thine build though if you are not Virtualising mulitple OSes on your Core i3 proposal: Get any of those Atom 510/525 based systems (dual core, hyperthreaded) -- they sip power but decent enough to run even a busy SMB SME server. They can go up to 4GB Memory only though but it should be more than enough.

But if you plan to run SME Server as a virtualized OE on a Core i series system -- yessir, Core i3, i5 would be the way to go. If you plan to run more virtual OSes (say SME Server, Windows Server, other OSes) -- you may be well off investing on a core i7-870 (95 watts peak).

I am running an AMD Thuban X6 (6 real cores versus 8 virtual cpus on the Core i7 series) - 16GB RAM  system though with CentOS bare OS with KVM Hypervisor. I have successfully run SME 7.5.1 and prototyping currently updating to SME Server 8.0). My rig currently runs 7 Virtual OS Environments 2xSME Server, OpenFiler NAS, Solaris 10, Windows XP Pro (Secure Browser/VPN Clent to Office), VortexBox Music Server, Windows 7 ENterprise, CentOS 5.5 and MS-DOS 6.22

;^))