Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[Solved] Can't get a Windows 7 VPN to work

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
[Solved] Can't get a Windows 7 VPN to work
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Hi,

Server running SME 7.5.1 and my workstation is running Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm trying to connect through a VPN but I can't get it to work.

Can anyone help me please.

/Carl
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:20:32 PM by weblance »

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Can't get a Windows 7 VPN to work
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
You do not give us much information to go on. Do you get any error messages? What setup are you using?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »
I'm running a danish version of W7, so I'm going to try to translate it.

The message I'm getting is something like: "Error 806: VPN-connection between the computer and the VPN-server could not be established. The cause could be that a router or firewall between the computer and VPN-server are not configured to allow GRE-protocol packets (Generic Routing Encapsulation)."

Could it be a port that has to be opened in my router?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:18:30 PM »
I'm running a danish version of W7, so I'm going to try to translate it.

The message I'm getting is something like: "Error 806: VPN-connection between the computer and the VPN-server could not be established. The cause could be that a router or firewall between the computer and VPN-server are not configured to allow GRE-protocol packets (Generic Routing Encapsulation)."

Could it be a port that has to be opened in my router?
Could be, but I think the error is pretty self explanatory. You should make sure that the routers between your VPN client and the server support GRE protocols.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »
What port does SME use for the VPN?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
What port does SME use for the VPN?
IIRC it would be 1723 normally, but the error seems to indicate towords GRE and not to not being able to contact the proper port. GRE is a protocol, not a port.

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »
I've opened port 1723, no luck.

I can't find out if my router supports GRE. It's a Zyxel P-2602R-D1A.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »
I've opened port 1723, no luck.

I can't find out if my router supports GRE. It's a Zyxel P-2602R-D1A.

PPTP VPN negotiates the connection on TCP port 1723, and then runs the traffic via the GRE protocol. So you need to forward both TCP port 1723 and the GRE protocol. Some gateways automatically forward GRE when required, by watching the negotiation on TCP port 1723.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:28:35 PM »
as far as I can see here it supports vpn passthrough

did you enable vpn in SME? :)
did you forward 1723 tcp port to the right ip? :wink:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:31:47 PM by Stefano »

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
as far as I can see here it supports vpn passthrough

did you enable vpn in SME? :)
did you forward 1723 tcp port to the right ip? :wink:

I've enabled VPN in SME. In "Remote access" I entered "5" in the VPN clients field.
I also have the VPN access selected "Yes" in my user profile.

I have forwarded port 1723 to my servers ip.

Could it be my W7 that's causing the problem?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:59:53 PM »
weblance

I regularly connect from a Win7 PC to a sme7.5.1 with success most times. You should post your Windows VPN setup here for review.

Did this VPN connection work previously, or is this a new setup that has never worked as yet ?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:28:47 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »
Could it be my W7 that's causing the problem?
Since you stated you are using a "Home Premium" edition this could very well be the case, as in other windows releases (like XP) the network functionality of so-called home editions where severely limited also on the subject of network functionality. Home users do normally not require VPN so it could very well be that this is not available in your edition of Windows 7.

Addedum: it seems all W7 editions support VPN, perhaps these might be of help:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Set-up-a-remote-connection-to-your-workplace-using-VPN
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-am-I-having-problems-with-my-VPN-connection
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:47:30 AM by cactus »

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 12:47:26 PM »
Have a look in the servers log at time of trying to connect via VPN...check /var/log/messages and report back telling us exactly what you saw.
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »
I've got it up and running now. The problem was that I had to open port 1723 on both my ADSL-modem and my router.