PHP5 joy and pain

Offline magwm

• +0/-0
  • SmeLover
    • Gadis Tourist Service Italia SRL
PHP5 joy and pain
« on: September 23, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
Hello folks,

I have a question about php5. a long time ago I setup a sme box, and updated to php5 (not php5-cgi) using the unsupported centosplus repo - to be exact I don't remember how I did, but everything works fine - at least so it seems, and i am able to update SME continuously using the normal repositories.

BUT, now some app complains that I need PHP5.2.. whereas in the centosplus repo I see that I am still using the 5.1.6 from 2008... Does anyone know a repository with usable rpms?

Now, does anyone have any idea on how to upgrade? I realize that I am still outside of the supported smeways..

thank you for your ideas!

Michel
MagWm

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: PHP5 joy and pain
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »
Hi Michel

AFAICT you have 3 possibilities:
1) compile the rpms following (for example) here
2) use at your own risk the rpms you find here (*)
3) move to SME8b6

with 1 and 2 you are on your own.. and do you at your own risk

(*) you could recompile the src rpm editing the spec file if necessary to complies to SME paths ecc.. it's not trivial, but should work

HTH

Offline magwm

• +0/-0
  • SmeLover
    • Gadis Tourist Service Italia SRL
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
Ciao Stefano!

hrm. I don't want to be on my own.. you sme folks are too helpful.. ;)

I will wait a bit and hope that SME8.0 will be out soon..

Also because on jasonlitka.com it says that their rpms are a combo of apache, mysql, php.. that are better not used separated.. so no good.

do you think sme8b6 is good enough for a stable corporate proxy server (with squidguard!), and will it be upgradeable to sme8.0?

MagWm

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »
Also because on jasonlitka.com it says that their rpms are a combo of apache, mysql, php.. that are better not used separated.. so no good.

brrrrrrrrrrrr....

do you think sme8b6 is good enough for a stable corporate proxy server (with squidguard!), and will it be upgradeable to sme8.0?

yes and yes.. in my experience SME8b6 is stable
about upgrading to SME8 final: you should be able to upgrade.. if not, you can always backup and restore ;-)