Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Adding Windows 7 to Domain

Offline belyache

• +0/-0
Adding Windows 7 to Domain
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:32:29 AM »
Hi all:

I am running a new install of SME Server 8 beta6. I have added contribs, they are working. Just a few things I have noticed.

1) Contribs now point to the new SME 8 Contribs. It does  not have all of the old SME 7 files. Maybe it was meant to be that way, but it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't install Dansguardian through Yum from the Contribs Directory.... I added the old SME 7 Contribs directory and it loaded fine.

2) I see that in bug tracker, adding Windows 7 to the domain is fixed, please note though that it is still required to make registry changes to the Windows 7 computer to get it to join the domain. The registry changes can be found in the bug tracker, or in the SME server 7 forums.

3) I also wondered in the past how to make "Domain Admins" group. I found this:  http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter9 I hope it helps someone who has been hunting for the info. It is in the section called setting admin rights.
It would be handy to have that option built into the group creation interface.Rather than having to hunt the info  down.

Glenn

Offline byte

• +2/-0
Re: Adding Windows 7 to Domain
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »

1) Contribs now point to the new SME 8 Contribs. It does  not have all of the old SME 7 files.

Correct, until SME Server 8.x reaches RC status the contribs repo will remain empty.

2) I see that in bug tracker, adding Windows 7 to the domain is fixed, please note though that it is still required to make registry changes to the Windows 7 computer to get it to join the domain. The registry changes can be found in the bug tracker, or in the SME server 7 forums.

This is exactly what we done for Windows XP which was to supply a regfix to enable Windows XP to join a Domain, only in time when Samba develops more streamline that we will no longer need a regfix. Could you point to the bug number next time please for any other readers. Thanks.

3) I also wondered in the past how to make "Domain Admins" group. I found this:  http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter9 I hope it helps someone who has been hunting for the info. It is in the section called setting admin rights.
It would be handy to have that option built into the group creation interface.Rather than having to hunt the info  down.

Its already built in; in a way as you only have to create the group.  Most people who manage domains would already know about the way its handle and also as you mentioned its in the manual and as everyone who reads the manual twice there is no way you can miss it :)

Thanks.

--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline ldkeen

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:05:52 AM »
They are also included as part of the server package and can be located here:
http://server_IP/server-resources/regedit/
Lloyd

Offline belyache

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:03:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I only brought up the issues because it isn't obvious. When I saw that the bug tracker said that the Samba Windows 7 issue was fixed, I assumed that it meant I don't need the registry fix. Not complaining, just pointing out the fact for anyone else who is working on it. To me, fixed means fixed. Not a work around fix. Again, not complaining. Sorry, I couldn't find the relevant bug tracker this time to post a link to it.. :-(

Domain admins, Although I have been a domain admin for around 12 years, the adding of the Domain Admin group was not obvious, because it is built into Windows servers. I have been using SME server for around 4 years... I think, and assumed it couldn't be done. (you know about assuming... :-).

Contribs, I understand the reasoning, it just would have been nice knowing. Rather than trying to figure out wht it wasn't working properly.

Glenn

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »
Hi Glenn,

Didn't see no complaining :) its good sometimes to have these points raised as the more experienced members will give their advice and any newbies will have a nice thread to review over some information :)

Thanks for your feedback !
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!