• +0/-0
Re: Does this mean SME 8b5 is now a RC?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:22:10 AM »
kevinb

No.
I believe it is in response to
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6163

8b5 is still the latest beta release

Edit ...and now 8beta6 has just been released, which I read will probably be the last beta release (I assume if all goes well).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:25:17 PM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline erroneus

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »
kevinb

No.
I believe it is in response to
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6163

8b5 is still the latest beta release

Edit ...and now 8beta6 has just been released, which I read will probably be the last beta release (I assume if all goes well).

All I can say is it really should be a Release Candidate.  I have been following the bug reports and there was/is only one bug as far as I can tell that is preventing the release and it has to do with USB/Firewire drives being connected and being mistaken for members of a RAID.

SME8 has been on the horizon for a VERY very long time... almost enough time for a room full of monkeys with hex pads to have entered in the CD image of the release.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »
SME8 has been on the horizon for a VERY very long time... almost enough time for a room full of monkeys with hex pads to have entered in the CD image of the release.

Perhaps if people like you committed more time to helping in the bug tracker then the release would progress more quickly. (43 bug fixes awaiting verification in SME8).

Offline erroneus

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
Perhaps if people like you committed more time to helping in the bug tracker then the release would progress more quickly. (43 bug fixes awaiting verification in SME8).

Check the logs.  I do contribute.  Interestingly enough, the one associated with the USB/Firewire devices and RAID was raised by me in 7.x prior to 8 going Beta.  If I recall, the first response was "that's what you get for not reading the manual."  I had made the error of doing an install/rebuild with the user's backup drive still attached.

I also made reports related to SME8 and LDAP issues with users and such.  I think that one was actually accepted without a lot of flack which was a pleasant surprise.  The thing is, most of the time when I file a bug, it is usually rejected off-hand before later being accepted when someone else or others start to file as well.  And it's not like I file with low amounts of detail -- a quick check of my contributions certainly show that I am detail oriented when filing bug reports.

I'm not going to blame you for being frustrated or any such thing -- we all have our days.  But seriously, how long has SME8 been in beta?  Has it been two years yet?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »
And it's not like I file with low amounts of detail -- a quick check of my contributions certainly show that I am detail oriented when filing bug reports.

That's excellent. So we need more people like you contributing more time.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »
almost enough time for a room full of monkeys with hex pads to have entered in the CD image of the release.
I despise remarks like this, the SME Server development team is a small team doing work in their spare time. Please keep that in mind.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline slords

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:10:11 AM »

And if that room full of monkeys actually knew how to program then we would be on SME20.  As there is no room full of intelligent programming monkeys SME8 will be out when those that do the programming feel it is of more quality then just a bunch of hex numbers.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 03:54:09 AM »
Check the logs.

I don't know who you are, but I don't recall ever seeing a bug report by "erroneus".

But in any case, I didn't accuse you of not contributing. I merely asserted the fact that if more people were contributing then the task would move faster.

Offline johnp

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 03:38:05 AM »

I may be wrong, but such statements seem to be counterproductive to V8 being released. Like Colonel Jessup, these guys deserve a thank you!