Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Joomla 1.6

Offline abasel

• +0/-0
Joomla 1.6
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
I have some some reading and found links to using rpms to install some older versions of Joomla, but I am wanting to do a manual install for two reasons
1) I want version 1.6
2) In this way I will understand how it all works

Basically I want my default homepage to be my Joomla site. Currently it points to the one created by SME via the server-manager console. I am used to simply copying my Joomla files to /var/www but this doesn't seem to be the case with an SME install.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Joomla 1.6
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
Basically I want my default homepage to be my Joomla site. Currently it points to the one created by SME via the server-manager console. I am used to simply copying my Joomla files to /var/www but this doesn't seem to be the case with an SME install.
You will have to put them in /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary/html and you need to make sure you have enabled th eoption to allow "executable" content. There might be more, for instance the requirement for PHP5 and MySQL 5. Since you do not state what version of SME Server you are using, it might be SME Server 7.x which does provide PHP4 and MySQL 4.1
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
abasel

For practical reasons it will be better to install Joomla to an ibay eg joomla (or whatever you wish to call it), and in Domains panel tell your primary domain content to be in that ibay. As cactus said, enable dynamic content for that ibay to allow php code etc to run.

Copying files is not the best approach as that can change ownership and permissions. Download the tar.gz file from the joomla website and unpack it in the ibay html folder. The generic install and update instructions are on the joomla website. You will need to manually create the mysql db and edit the apps config files.

You can see how this is all done by installing one of the rpm contribs, and then (if preferred or desired) do a manual update by following the recommended upgrade procedures on the Joomla website. You could then move the installation from /opt/joomla to the required ibay (using the mv command rather than cp, or tar and untar process to preserve permissions and ownership). You would need to amend the joomla config files to suit the new installed location.

Note there is also a contrib (and script) that assists you to install ANY application to /opt and create the mysql database etc etc. See
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Site_Maker (Edit - corrected URL)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:27:34 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline abasel

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »
Hi, I'm happy with the joomla side of things as I've done a number of these.

I created an i-bay but forgot to create public access so none of the directories were created. I then deleted it and recreated it with the same name using the following settings:
Group: Everyone
User access via file sharing or user ftp: Write=admin, Read=group
Public access via web or anonymous ftp: Entire Internet (no password required)
Execution of dynamic content (CGI,PHP,SSI): Enabled

When I browse to it, it still doesn't have the sub directories i.e. the html folder that you mention.

I came right by creating a new i-bay with a different name, but would be interested to know how I could have corrected the above issue
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:52:21 AM by abasel »

Offline abasel

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:54:42 AM »
Nearly there
Your host needs to use PHP 5.2.4 or higher to run Joomla 1.6.

I am quiet happy to do this but just want to make sure that doing such an upgrade won't break something else on the server.

I also might need to upgrade MySQL

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:59:39 AM »
abasel

I created an i-bay but forgot to create public access so none of the directories were created. I then deleted it and recreated it with the same name using the following settings:
When I browse to it, it still doesn't have the sub directories i.e. the html folder that you mention.

That's incorrect, be careful what claims you make here.
You do not need to delete, just edit and amend.
The folders are there but are "hidden" depending on what settings you create, and how you are browsing to it.
In Windows filesharing (via samba) you will not see a subfolder structure if you do not have web access enabled. You will actually be looking in the /files subfolder ie /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibayname/files

If you enable web access, then in Windows filesharing you will see 3 subfolders /cgi-bin, /files, /html

The place you put web content in, is usually in the html folder. The html folder is still not seen or displayed by your web browser.
At the linux command prompt, look in /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibayname/html
Unpack your joomla tar.gz file there.

PLEASE read the Manual, I'm sure this is covered there.
You really need to read all the manuals slowly at least twice, it will save you having to ask many questions (and us having to answer them).

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:07:03 AM »
abasel

Upgrading php will break your server when upgrade time comes.
The answer is to either use sme8beta5 (quite stable but obviously still under development), or to use the php-cgi contrib, where  the newer version of php applies to specified ibays.

I also might need to upgrade MySQL

Search the forums, I think there was a so called "sure fire" upgrade method posted recently (last few months or so).

Whenever you upgrade any major packages like those suggested you will always run the risk of breakage, so you are essentially on your own to resolve the problems, be warned.
I think moving to sme8beta5 will be the easiest, safest solution for you, as that does have the more recent php and mysql versions, and you can give feedback to bugzilla re any usage issues you may have. Many people are already using sme8betax in production, although not officially sanctioned.

Offline abasel

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 02:15:53 AM »
Yeah, i'm thinking this too.... also I've basically got a good feel for how it all works... since I haven't done much real work with it yet, I may as well do a a fresh install of version 8.

Thanks

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 02:25:37 AM »
abasel

You can put a CD in and do an upgrade from 7 to 8. That way you can test the upgrade process between versions, and help the development effort. You have a cleanish sme7.5.1 server so the upgrade should run reasonably smoothly. Add any problems encountered to bugzilla. Check out the sme8 wiki  and bugzilla sme 8 matrix for known issues.

Offline abasel

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 02:38:32 AM »
Given all the help that I've been given, I am happy do do that...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:59:15 AM by abasel »

Offline abasel

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 06:01:48 AM »
Just one quick question w.r.t. the upgrade. When I initially tried to install Joomla I noticed that there was no root password on the MySql database so I set one.... will this break the upgrade and if so, how do I remove the password?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »
abasel

If you mean the root user password, then you should not have done that.
See the Mysql Howto for steps to reset it.
Please READ the documentation, the answers are there if you bother to look.
http://wiki.contribs.org/MySQL

Asking questions in the forum is really for stuff that is not already documented, or for which you do not understand the documentation, having already made the effort to read them though.

I'd also suggest you drop the approach you used with other Linux OS's as some of that definitely does not apply to SME.

Offline abasel

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 06:39:23 AM »
Will do thanks

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 07:39:24 AM »
Just one quick question w.r.t. the upgrade. When I initially tried to install Joomla I noticed that there was no root password on the MySql database so I set one.... will this break the upgrade and if so, how do I remove the password?
There was a password set and most likely a stronger one than you have set now. SME Server has a default root password that is a 72 charachter random string IIRC and a special mechanisms is used to make sure the root user can login without having to enter their password.

Here you can read more on it: http://wiki.contribs.org/MySQL#MySQL_root_password

And here is how you reset the root password: http://wiki.contribs.org/MySQL#Resetting_the_MySQL_root_password

Please take some time to do carefully read the documentation available and next time do a search before posting, you would have easily found the procedure to reset the root password. Thanks in advance.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline abasel

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
Yip Mary made those points ... I could give a million reasons as to why I didn't see the solution or why my searches yielded blanks...... but I'm happy to concede that I need to take more care and be more patient in my research.......

Point made and taken :-)