Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hardware Raid and SME Server

Offline Joeg1484

• +0/-0
Hardware Raid and SME Server
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »
Hey again,

Ok, I got me a 3ware  8000 series RAID controller from work and set it up as a RAID 1 in the bios. All is well and the OS sees the raid device. However, SME server tries to set it up as a software raid and presents a /proc/mdstat with the following information:
Code: [Select]
Personalities : [raid0] [raid1]  [raid5] [raid6]
md2 : active raid1 sda2[0]
         1465031488 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md1 : active raid1 sda1[0]
         104320 blocks [2/1] [U_]

unused devices: <none>

This is interesting because the hardware raid should only present to the OS /dev/sda (As it does with other versions of Linux when I tested) and SME should not try to set up software raid (Or at least, this is my impression)

Also, if I try to install with sme noraid at boot up, it knocks out one of my drives in the 3ware bios and sets it to "not in use".

Any ideas? Should I leave it as software raid as it currently is and just trust the hardware raid to mirror them, or is there something else going on.

I have tested with Ubuntu Server using eBox and with Arch Linux and they see the /dev/sda as I believe it should be presented to the OS; as /dev/sda and not a raid device. Both Ubuntu and Arch have more modern Kernels, so they might have updated 3ware drivers?

Thanks!

Joe
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:35:45 PM by Joeg1484 »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Hardware Raid and SME Server
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:06:11 PM »
Joe, please take some time to read carefully the documentation..

SME will always create a sw raid if you don't give the noraid option

HTH

Offline Joeg1484

• +0/-0
Re: Hardware Raid and SME Server
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 10:11:27 PM »
Joe, please take some time to read carefully the documentation..

SME will always create a sw raid if you don't give the noraid option

HTH

Ok, very good. I just was not used to seeing that, but if that is how its done, then thats great. Just wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong.

And, yes, I do need to spend some time with the Documentation!

Thanks!!!

Joe