Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Fetchmail relay

Offline zb10948

• +0/-0
Fetchmail relay
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
Hello forum,

i have an SME account, let's say user@domain.local, and his external mailbox, lets say user222@mail.com.
Everything is working fine with incoming mail, but when "user" sends an e-mail, that e-mail has "user@domain.local" in "From :" field, instead of "user222@mail.com".

The mail is sent via mail.com SMTP.

I've read the page http://www.schirrms.net/sme/SMEFetchMail.php , and i can't find anything.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Fetchmail relay
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »
hi

how do you send your mail?

this is a email client setup issue

Offline zb10948

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »
Hi,

using Felamimail from eGroupWare, because i'd like to use it's Exchange wrapper later on. I know if i went to setup e-mail client manually, i could change the from field, but the idea is to have Outlook clients configured automatically in Exchange mode.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »
how do you expect client sw could be automagically configured if your domain is .local? :-)

Offline zb10948

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »
Well, the client thinks he's receiving mail from @local, but he is getting it relayed from external server.
I don't want to auto-magically configure mail clients to display user@mail.com in from field of the editor; that can be user@dom.local. However, i want fetchmail to replace headers if it detects that mail is going out of the local domain.

I think that's how it goes with SBS2008 and it's Exchange + POPconn. I'll have to double check that with my Windows admins at the office, but i'm pretty much sure they got it working out of the box.

Is that possible?
If that functionality is not implemented, or there isn't any sane workaround, i could program it myself.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 11:20:10 PM »
I don't want to auto-magically configure mail clients to display user@mail.com in from field

If you dont, you will have issues with the mail being rejected by other servers on the basis it is an unresolveable domain.

However, i want fetchmail to replace headers if it detects that mail is going out of the local domain.

I dont believe the fetchmail contrib will re-write headers (nor should it).

If I understand you correctly, this is in fact a seperate issue. Fetchmail is about collecting mail and redistributing it whereas your issue is about dispatching mail.

I think that's how it goes with SBS2008 and it's Exchange
I dont know POPConn but that is not quite how exchange handles it.

As you have already been advised, this is a mail client configuration issue however it does have SMTP implications since the SMTP server needs to be able to handle the relay somehow either by way of a virtual domain or a user authenntication or some other method.

Good Luck - email relays can be very challenging.