Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

eJabberd and dyndns

Offline SchulzStefan

• +0/-0
eJabberd and dyndns
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
I need someone to point me in the right direction with ejabberd and dyndns.

I'm running a SME 7.4 up-to-date behind a firewall (IpCop). I do have a dyndns account, so I'm able to connect the SME from everywhere. I opened and re-directed the ports at the firewall, so every SME-service (mail, ftp, www) is working.  So far so good. Now I installed the EJabberd-contrib. I added in the SME Server a jabber-domain for the jabber users. I followed the instructions in the wiki, there was no problem to create the admin-account, to access the ejabberd-page, and also creating the users-accounts went fine. I did this *NOT* with a client in the LAN. In the firewall I redirected the ports 5222, 5223 and 5269 on the SME server.

Now here's the problem: the clients outside the LAN are not able to resolve the DNS permanent. They do connect once with the server, but are not able to hold the connection. The client I used ist pidgin 2.6.4.

The jabberID is a user name plus the name of the domain I connected in the jabber-manager with the jabber service. The connection-server is the dyndns name of the SME server. Obviously the client tries to re-connect the SME server with the local domain. And this domain can't be resolved. Sure, the is no user ID XXX@jabber.XXX.org, there are only users XXX@XXX.dyndns.org.

Any help is appreciated

stefan
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.

Time, 1973
(Mason, Waters, Wright, Gilmour)

Offline SchulzStefan

• +0/-0
*SOLVED* eJabberd and dyndns
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »
O.K., after playing little around I found a solution. A virtual domain with the name of the "dyndns-domain" does the trick. Just create a primary domain in the server-manager. Connect eJabberd to this domain and follow the how-to. That's it.

stefan
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.

Time, 1973
(Mason, Waters, Wright, Gilmour)