Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PHPMyFamily - Family Tree Web App for everybody

Offline gundar

• +0/-0
PHPMyFamily - Family Tree Web App for everybody
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:12 AM »
Hi

I just stumbled on this very cool family tree application.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyfamily/

You can do this with some Internet knowledge and a little conceptal knowledge about databases and web pages, this is begginner stuff, no fancy customisations or nerve racking restarts required.

It runs as PHP script in iBay and you need a database in MYSQL and PHP5. To install on SME Server 7.4, here are the steps:

0. Install DAR2 or any backup that works and is supported. Backup your server. Test that it can be restored from that backup you made, during this test, write down every single step and command exactly that you made to restore the server. If you do this, you will never need to worry, complain or fret because you will have a list of steps you made during the restore process which can be used to help you restore.

1. Buy a domain and sort out resolution to your SME Server. I used DYNDNS and I have a fixed IP address. The domain and resolution is about US$80 for the first year and about US$40/year thereafter - fees will vary, this is a guide. You will need to know a bit about Internet and DNS to get this part right. DYNDNS do supply support, but not really for their free stuff. My ISP gives me a fixed IP at $20 setup and $5/mo.

2. Create an iBay as usual and set it to Public Internet access without a password required (or with if you want).

3. Create the domain from (step 1) in Server Manager and point it to the iBay. At this point, you should test that if you go to http://yourdomain.com, it should get a simple webpage that says the ibay is being configured etc.

4. Install PHPMyAdmin from the contribs. From inside your network (trusted network) open http://yourdomain.com/phpmyadmin and login as admin using your sme admin password. Look at Priviliges tab, click create new user (your choice on name) create strong password, select localhost as server. Check the box that says 'create db of same name and grant all priviliges', make sure you write down all the info.

5. Extract PHPMyFamily to the ibay/html folder. Beware, some extractors will put the files into a folder of the application name, this is not correct, you should have ibay/html/index.php ibay/html/admin etc.

6. Install PHP5 for Web - http://wiki.contribs.org/PHP5 when you get to the point that says ibayname, use the ibay you created in 2 only. Linux works better if you only install what is needed, don;t go upgrading other websites or ibays you have unless that is what is required - nothing ever works better just because its newer, that's a lame marketing idea and this is a technical real world thing.

7. Look for a file called INSTALL and read it, there are three or so steps. Use the password and credentials from 4 to populate the db settings referred to. While you are in the  config file, read it completely, it is well commented with useful hints and tips. I set Big Brother to True, so I get emails if something is changed, which is good if you are nervous or you just want to keep an eye on things. There are other options that may add benefit for you.

8. In the ibay/html, is a file called index.html, rename this to index.old. It is the file that generates the webpage "Ibay is configured..." etc. The webserver will now automatically give out the index.php which is from the family tree application.

9. As advised, change the admin password. Make it complex.

If you go to your local internet cafe, you should see the family tree application at the domain you bought.

Easy. Also, you now know how to install a custom php web app into an ibay, so you can use similar ideas to install WordPress or Joomla into an ibay. I would advise you install AWSTATS from the contribs so you can see who is coming to your website and change the setting in the config file to make the website more search engine friendly. After a week or so, AWSTATS will give you a list of visitors and where they came from, you can now setup targetted advertising or maybe just note where other interested parties are in the world.

If you get stuck, drop a message here. If you are keen but confused, email me, I may be able to host your family tree for a few $$$s a month plus costs, I have the bandwidth and some know how, you will have to populate the info though, I have little time.

Good luck and keep well.

Gund