Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

LDAP

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
LDAP
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »
Hi.  I installed the LDAP auth contrib and it works well.  I was able to authenticate a moodle instance from the LDAP database.  I was able to use information like username, email address, first name and family name.  What I wasn't able to do, however, was take any info from the default directory set up on the server-manager.  It would be great to be able to populate the LDAP database with the defaults we set up on the server-manager.
Saving the world ... one server at a time.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: LDAP
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »
It would be great to be able to populate the LDAP database with the defaults we set up on the server-manager.
Are you sure it does not do that? I though this was implemented.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
SOLVED! LDAP
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:51:47 AM »
Oops.  I was looking at the admin user.  The normal user has lots of stuff auto-populated.  Sorry about that!

Oh, one more thing.  The home folder under LDAP gets listed as:  /home/e-smith/files/users/username.  Is there anyway to have it listed as /home/e-smith/files/users/username/home - the actual home folder?

Steve

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
Re: SOLVED! LDAP
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
Oh, one more thing.  The home folder under LDAP gets listed as:  /home/e-smith/files/users/username.  Is there anyway to have it listed as /home/e-smith/files/users/username/home - the actual home folder?
Not sure, but your best bet to have it at least considered is to raise a bug in the bugtracker for it. Please post a reference to the bug, once you have created one, here for future readers.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
I used to post NFRs (or ideas) on the bugtracker, but recently they were all tagged as "Closed - Not Doing It".  Am hesitant to post more.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »
I used to post NFRs (or ideas) on the bugtracker, but recently they were all tagged as "Closed - Not Doing It".  Am hesitant to post more.
You could still add them, but keep in mind that we have a limited team of volunteers trying to keep this distribution running.

If you really need features you could sponsor a developer or help coding them yourself.

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »
I don't really need the feature.  It's just a suggestion.  Any offer of funding coming from me is likely to be taken as an insult by the devs.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »
Any offer of funding coming from me is likely to be taken as an insult by the devs.
I wonder why that would be seen as an insult... and think you are wrong.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »
I wonder why that would be seen as an insult... and think you are wrong.

I was typing the same sentence.. :-)

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 01:01:21 AM »
As a one-income teacher with three kids my disposable funds are not sufficient to allow me to offer a generous enough bounty on features beneficial to SME.  Any amount I can afford is likely to be insulting as a offer to a dev.

Offline johnp

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 02:26:41 AM »
As I can only speak for myself. I have to believe a sincere offer may not put it on the front burner, but may get results over time.

Being in an industry where a simple "thank you" is rarely heard, when it does occur they get the above and beyond treatment.

Anyways, I don't think anyone would be insulted by a honest respectful offer. JMHO
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:07:59 AM by johnp »

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
Hi.  I installed the LDAP auth contrib and it works well.

What contrib is this?

John

Offline jmbac

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »