Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE] smeserver-shared-folders

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
[ANNOUNCE] smeserver-shared-folders
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:53:30 PM »
Hi everyone.
Just want to let you know I've released a new contrib. It's called smeserver-shared-folders. This contribs looks like the Ibays modules, but it use the POSIX ACL to set the permissions, so you can grant read/write or read only access for any group.
Just take a look at the wiki page for more informations: http://wiki.contribs.org/SharedFolders

Cheers, Daniel
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
Re: [ANNOUNCE] smeserver-shared-folders
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:48:43 AM »
Daniel, that looks fantastic.  I just had a look at the wiki page and all I can say is WOW  :shock:
Saving the world ... one server at a time.

Offline thomasch

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 04:37:56 AM »
Hi everyone.
Just want to let you know I've released a new contrib. It's called smeserver-shared-folders. This contribs looks like the Ibays modules, but it use the POSIX ACL to set the permissions, so you can grant read/write or read only access for any group.
Just take a look at the wiki page for more informations: http://wiki.contribs.org/SharedFolders

Cheers, Daniel

Did read the wiki, but I still don't understand why should I use this contrib instead of built in ibays modules.. shed me some light please.

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 05:15:26 AM »
I'll try to answer that ...
  • The default ibay arrangement only allows for 2 groups - read only and write;  using this contrib you are able to assign more groups rights to the shared folder.  For example, a shared folder that allows the executive of a school read and write access, maths teachers read and write access, other teachers read only access.  This was impossible under the ibay system.
  • Web accessable shared folders can have group permissions.  A user trying to access a shared folder over the Internet will be prompted for their username/password - if they enter their credentials correctly they will be able to read or read/write to the folder depending on their group memberships
These are great improvements.  Well done Daniel.

Offline piran

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »
Expands site design possibilities into customer-specific
portfolio display customisation - thank you Daniel;~)

Offline steever

• +0/-0
    • Open-Sesame
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 02:17:01 AM »
Hi.

I've been playing around with this contrib.  I am having trouble getting web content to display.  I keep getting this error ...
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /primary-school on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have set up a shared folder "primary-school" accessible through the web.  What is causing this error?  Should I put content for the web in the files folder or in the root?

Steve

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 08:49:35 AM »
Hi.
It'll be hard to troubleshoot an issue in the forum, so I'll give you some clues, and if the problem persist, you should open a bug.
Does at least one group of users has read access ?
Did you enabled indexes ?
You should have a look at apache's log files with
Code: [Select]
tailf /var/log/httpd/error_log
Your files should go in the files directory. The root directory is never used directly.

Cheers

Offline markseymour

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:57:23 PM »
    • Web accessable shared folders can have group permissions.  A user trying to access a shared folder over the Internet will be prompted for their username/password - if they enter their credentials correctly they will be able to read or read/write to the folder depending on their group memberships

By what mechanism can a shared folder be writeable via the web?  Is there a file upload script?  or is this only readable i.e. directory list.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 12:04:13 AM »
      By what mechanism can a shared folder be writeable via the web?  Is there a file upload script?  or is this only readable i.e. directory list.
    HI. There's no write access wia the web yet. Maybe in the future I could add webdav support. For now web acces is read only. File/directory listing is configurable with the Indexes parameter.[/list]

Offline kevinb

• +0/-0
    « Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:29:21 AM »
    DAV http://wiki.contribs.org/DAV.

But there may be an issue with permissions http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4564#c21.

You should probably start a new thread and not hi-jack this one.

Kevin

Offline markseymour

• +0/-0
    « Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:22:59 AM »

Daniel,  thank you kindly for your reply.

kevinb, the FAQ by Greg Swallow at http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,38579.0.html regarding whether to start a new topic would seem to suggest that this thread was the most appropriate place for my inquiry.

Offline Kaz

• +0/-0
    « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 11:16:23 PM »
    Hello,

Great contrib, I am able to assign more groups rights to a shared folder but I wonder if it's possible to emulate Win Servers behaviour
    Ex: folder (permissions: group1 (rw), group2 (ro), group3 (rw))
          |__ subfolder1 (permissions: group1, group2)
          |__ subfolder2 (permissions: group1, group3)
          |__ subfolder3 (permissions: group2, group3)

Thanks.

Lucas

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
    « Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:36:32 PM »
    Hello,

Great contrib, I am able to assign more groups rights to a shared folder but I wonder if it's possible to emulate Win Servers behaviour

Thanks.

Lucas

not via the contrib.. man setfacl/getfacl for more detail

Stefano

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    « Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »

No, it's not possible. One of my client asked me to implement something like this, but it's not easily feasible:
    - the name of the sub folders are not known, the the panel should provide a kind of browser to set the permissions. With this, it'll need to handle special characters
    - It'll also be much harder to store everything in the DB.
    - Further more, I really think it's cleaner to create one share per permission set. I agree ibays are a bit too limited, that's why I've created this contrib, but having different permissions on sub-folders will just make it harder to maintain IMHO.

As Stefano said, you can do it manually with setafacl (and you'll have to backup them with getfacl), but in this case, you should not use a shared folder because each time you modify it, the ACL will be flushed.

Cheers

Offline Kaz

• +0/-0
    « Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
    You' re right. As Stefano said: setfacl / getfacl. I've implemented this and is working great so far.
    Nevertheless, and once again, great contrib

Cheers from Argentina.

Lucas
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:42:31 AM by Kaz »